The Stories of Stars

Evelina

I awoke to Anna squirming in my arms and whimpering uncontrollably. "Anna?!"

"N-no! Don't touch me!" She squirmed and flailed her arms about in attempts to fight whatever monster was in her nightmare.

I pressed a gentle kiss to my daughter's forehead. "Wake up, sweetheart... You're alright; Mommy's here," I whispered.

Anna's eyes shot open and she buried her tiny head into my neck. "The evil dragon wanted to hurt me..."

My blood went cold. "W-what evil dragon?" No. No. Not now. Not ever. Please don't tell me Grima has found a way to take control of her.

"The big scary dragon! It had a lotta wings!" She sniffled. "He said that I can't run!"

"Hush, little one..." I hugged her tight and sat up, leaning against a tree and setting her in my lap. "I won't let that dragon hurt you. Ever."

Anna nodded and wiped away her tears with her arm. "Ok, Mommy..." She looked up at the stars and pointed. "What's that one?"

I looked to where she was pointing. "Canis Major, sweetie." I smiled. "See the little star cluster right next to it? That's Canis Minor: her little wolf pup."

Anna stared up in awe. "Ooooh!"

Ever since we took back to living off the land two months ago, Anna has taken an interest in astrology. She often asks me about the stars and what they mean; what their stories are. It makes me happy when her eyes light up with curiosity.

"Mommy, what are the stars?" Anna asked me.

I ruffled her soft hair and sighed. "Well, some people think that the stars are our loved ones who have passed away," I said. It's difficult to explain such a complex thought to a toddler, and she'll most likely forget most of the things I've told her when she gets older, but it's nice to watch her desire to learn grow.

"How do they get up there?"

"Someone takes them, sweetie," I giggled.

"Who?"

I winked at her. "That's a secret, little bird!" I honestly had no idea.

Anna gazed at me with curious eyes. "Oooh! Ok!" She nodded. "Are there stars watching us?"

I let out a heavy breath. "Yes, my sweet. My mother and father are up there. Watching us and guiding us..." I whispered as I scanned the skies. I hope it's just them... Blaise, please be alive...

"Why are they up there?"

I hugged my daughter tight and blinked away a tear. "That's a story for another time, dear. Mama's not ready to tell you, yet."

"Otay..." Anna yawned and leaned against me. "I seepy..."

I chuckled and laid back down with her. "Let's sleep, then," I murmured, closing my eyes.

"Nigh-night, Mama..." She managed before drifting off to sleep.

Once I was sure Anna was asleep, I opened my eyes and gazed at the stars again. Are you watching over us? Are you happy where you are? Is Blaise ok? Gods... I really wish I could find some sort of answer... I'm so sorry about everything. I'm so sorry I was blind. I should have been able to save you... If only I wasn't so weak...

If only I didn't let Validar trick me...

My anger grew as I thought of my ex-husband. I believed every one of his words and allowed myself to fall for him. To abandon my village and "run away" with him. I gave him my heart and he only chewed it up and spat it on the ground.

The moment we discovered my pregnancy, he tore his mask off. He took me to the Dragon's Table and I became his prisoner. All he wanted was someone gullible enough to bear his child; to bear Grima.

I eventually began to resent the child growing within me. I knew I would give birth to a monster. However, the second I heard Anna's cries after being born, warm relief began to course through me. When I held her in my arms for the first time, any resentment I held for the child was thrown out the window as love and compassion came to replace it. She looked so much like my mother; not a single trait from Validar showed.

I was overjoyed that my daughter was safe and sound. She looked so pure and innocent; not a drop of Fell Blood within her. That's why I was so devastated when I found the mark branding her right hand.

A loud crack from the fire broke me from my trance. I blinked quickly, not realizing I was crying. I looked down at Anna. How could I ever hate something so precious...? I bent my head to kiss her forehead. I won't let anyone or anything harm you. I promise. I will find a way to live without having to look over our shoulders every second.

I kissed her forehead once more. "I love you so much, Anna... I love you will all of my heart. You will never make the same mistakes as me. I will make sure of that."

_______________

Er, it's not really a break from angst but I'm evil so I don't really care. XD Evelina can't ever catch a break. And neither can I. Exams are driving me crazy. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Currently listening to: A Little More: The Ready Set