Prelude

Chrom

I drew in a deep breath as I stood before the doors to the Throne Room. What could Emm possibly be requesting? My gut tells me that it has something to do with Plegia. When does it not, nowadays?

Steeling myself, I pushed the doors open, marching straight up to Emmeryn. I bowed my head as I approached her. "Emm, you needed me?"

My sister nodded, sitting straight and keeping her royal composure. "Chrom, yes. I have some news." Phila was standing a few feet away, like normal. I could see her fighting back the urge to reach out and place a hand on Emm's shoulder.

"How bad is it?"

She sighed. "Any news regarding possible danger is bad news," she said. "There has been concern over the Southern Border as of late; word that Plegian bandits have leaked into our territory.

I clenched my fists, lips turning into a snarl. "Of course. Doesn't surprise me at all." Gangrel is really determined to instigate another war. "What shall we do about it?"

"Chrom, I want you to head out and check the borders - make sure our people are safe," she requested.

I nodded. "Do you want my Shepherds to take on this mission?"

She shook her head. "No. I don't think sending out a large party is a wise idea. The people could get suspicious or worry too much."

Not take my Shepherds? Does she want just me to go? "Are you certain? I appreciate your trust in me, but if there is a problem, there is no way I can quell it on my own."

"I know. I would never dare send you out alone. That's why I want you to take Frederick on patrol with you," she said, hands nervously clenching her robe.

By the way she's talking about this, this problem doesn't seem like it'll be too difficult to handle. If that's the case, then Frederick and I could handle it just fine. It'll be nice to get out of the castle for a little while, too. I haven't properly been out since the battle last March.

After our skirmish with the Plegians a few months ago, I made the decision that we would stick to smaller missions, at least until we found a tactician. I would much rather stay here and train, taking on small tasks than go into a large battle and risk the lives of my soldier's due to my strategic downfalls.

I nodded, resolute. "You can count on us, Emm. We should be back in less than a fortnight."

"I'm glad to hear it." She smiled. "You are dismissed. Go and find Frederick, I would like it if you two headed out as soon as possible. Oh, but check back with me before you depart. I want to see you off."

"Of course, Emm." Even though she is giving orders as an Exalt, she's still my older sister. Those sides of her show way more than she may admit. Not that I mind, though.

...

When I entered the barracks, it was almost completely derived of people since everyone was out training. The only two inside were Sumia and Lissa, who were chatting while Sumia polished some armor.

A couple weeks after my nineteenth birthday, I finally allowed for Lissa to join the Shepherds. I was fed up with her nagging, anyway. Still, it was nice to have another healer in our ranks since Maribelle was still had to cut her time between being in Ylisstol and Themis. However, my younger sister has never been on an expedition with us, which she wasn't too happy about.