My First Fight

Anna

Mom and I were making our way through some woodlands when the sudden feeling of alarm dawned on us. My tactical training conditioned me to sense impending danger. It was difficult to explain how it really worked and I certainly did not understand it at first, but it just kind of exists.

I placed a hand on the tome clipped to my belt and the other flying to the hilt of my dagger, my back pressing against Mom's. "Do you feel that?" I breathed.

She nodded, drawing her blade. "Stay back, love." She glared at a patch of thick foliage. "Show yourselves! You're not fooling anyone!"

A group of three, rough looking brigands emerged, smirking. "What an observant eye ye have 'ere." A woman with more complex equipment (or what was considered complex in bandit standards) sneered. I assumed she was the leader. Her accent was one I did not recognize as anything common; her vowels were wide, voice higher pitched. 

Mom released a small gasp. "Plegians... How did you get so far into the border?!"

"Won't you like to know?" One of her male companions barked. "We're only 'ere ta cause a bit of ruckus, ya hear?"

The remaining man piped up. "Prepare ter die!" As he finished his words, he charged at us. Swiftly, Mom pushed me back and held up her sword, holding off his blow. He was much stronger than her, already causing her to lose balance.

"Ah, no!" I leaped forward, extending my arm and yelling, "THUNDER!" My nerves tingled as I summoned my strength. Then, the spark's aura consumed my growing worry and blasted forward. A small bolt of lightning hit the man, not killing him, but forcing him to stumble back and recollect himself.

Pride swelled in my heart. That's the first time I ever used this one another person! And it actually worked! 

Mom surged forward and slashed at his gut. The man cried out in pain, holding his wound and retreating behind his companions. "D-dammit! Them lot stronger than we thought!"

Mom twirled her blade. "There's more where that came from if you dare make another move!"

The leader snarled. "Why I oughtta..." She unsheathed her own sword, turning to her remaining companion. "You take care a 'da brat, I got the other."

Mom stepped in front of me. "I won't let you near my daughter!" she barked.

"I wasn't asking yer permission." With that, the woman charged at Mom. They were a mess of swinging blades and curses. I had to look away.

However, I had my own problem to deal with. The much taller, and stronger man neared me, his ax at the ready. I shrieked as I dodged that first swing, heart pounding. I have to think of something to do! I can't keep running away and hope he gets tired!

He may have had a more physical advantage, but I had the tactical one. I took my smaller frame and used it against him, easily being able to slip away from his attacks. Soon enough, I was able to trip him and get behind him. I sank my dagger into his back, laying my free hand next to it and casting Thunder. 

The man fell stunned to the ground, sparks still dancing across his body. I looked to my left to see the fallen brigand leader, Mom's blade pointed at her throat. The look on her face was pure anger. "I give you a choice: run away with your tails between your legs, or perish."

The woman hastily got to her feet. "M-men! Retreat!" It was a labored and jerky effort, but the brigands managed to get up and limp away.

As soon as they were out of sight, Mom began to stumble, putting all of her weight on her left leg. "Mama, you're hurt!" I rushed up to her, immediately getting myself under her arm to support her.

She brushed me off. "I-I'm fine, dear. My leg is just acting up." She tried to take a step, hissing in pain. "On second thought, maybe we should rest."

As soon as we were all set up in a hidden glen, I crawled over to her. "Mom, I think it's getting worse. It's never bothered you as much in the past, but-"

"I'm not as young as I used to be, Anna, that's all," she chuckled. "However, you are right. I should pay more attention to my leg from now on. I'm afraid that over-exerting things could result poorly."

I nodded, leaning against her. "Why did those people attack us?" We did nothing wrong! Does it have something to do with my curse?

Mom stared off. "...I've heard rumors that Plegia wants to go to war with Ylisse. Gangrel must be sending brigand groups into Ylisse to encourage it."

"That's awful!" I gasped. "Why would he want to do such a thing?"

"Who knows." She shrugged. "All we can do is fight back and stay hidden."

"All right..." I don't want to stay hidden anymore! I know it's for my safety, but I feel like I can do much more! I want to protect Ylisse and she has protected me!

*****

Here's this thing! Don't mess with this 14-year-old. She has the power of God and anime on her side. So I noticed this awhile ago but kept forgetting to mention this, but My Story reached 30k reads! I am absolutely blown away. Never in a million years did I think it would become this popular. Thank you so much. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Note: this Saturday is the start of my Christmad mini-series, The Best is Yet To Come. It would really mean a lot to me if you checked it out!