Secret Revealed

Chrom

About a month had passed since I received Falchion. In this time, my confidence as a leader grew and grew. Now that we had our own barracks and training spaces, our organization skills were much better. Although most of our missions never extended as far as a few miles out of Ylisstol, and the problems themselves were never that big of battles, we were more than happy to at least be able to do something.

To add to everything that we have been gaining these past few months, I received a letter from Sumia saying that her parents are beginning to reconsider allowing her to join the Shepherds. She said to expect a definite answer within a month. Apparently, the reputation we were gaining truly was on our sides.

Currently, I was on my way to speak with Emm regarding a potential mission. When she wasn't in the Throne Room or Main Hall, you could almost always find her in her study. And seeing that I couldn't find her anywhere, she was most likely in there.

As I approached her room, I noticed that the door was ajar. What the... She always keeps it closed, even when she's not inside. I lightly pushed it open, peaking my head inside. No signs of life anywhere. I almost sighed in relief. Well, at least there are no signs of a skirmish. However, I saw light peaking out from beneath the door to her study. Ah! There she is! I walked over to the door, preparing to knock, but the sound of voices stopped me.

"--The timing is very wrong, Emmeryn." The voice of Phila spoke.

"I-I know that! When has it not?" Emm sighed.

"I don't think there is a right time, nor will there ever be. When it comes to...this."

"These kinds of marriages have been legal and accepted in Ylisse since my great-great-grandmother's reign," Emm reasoned. "They have been legal in Regna Ferox since it was first established, and it's even quite common in Plegia! It's not a new thing!"

What in Naga's name are they talking about...? I moved to the side of the door, leaning against the wall and training my ears so I could pick up everything they were saying. I know it's rude to eavesdrop, but... Curiosity certainly took the best of everyone.

I could tell Phila was fidgeting. "Y-yes, I know. They certainly have. But not for royalty! I know there are records of members of the Ylissean Royal Family taking on partners of the same sex, but never in one of those records is it mentioned that the current ruler of that time had one! Emm, there would be chaos!"

My mouth started to gape. Did she just call her Emm? And why did she mention same-sex relationships?

"...I'm afraid my kingdom has had its fair share of chaos all throughout my rule," Emm muttered. "I know the timing is wrong. I know this isn't something I should come out with right now. And, loathe I am to say it, the Plegians have provided a distraction and an excuse for me to postpone marriage decisions for me."

"But what about when this conflict settles down? What then? Will you be forced to find a husband?" Phila's tone was that of worry and sadness.

"Phila, some of the more observant nobles already have suspicions. I am in the middle of my twenties and I've shown no interest in marriage. Or in men. They have never brought it to my attention or to court, but I just have a sinking feeling in my gut that they know."