I Will Protect You

Chrom

...I can't believe Mama's gone...

I hugged my baby sister close and cried. It's been over a week since Mama died, but it feels like it all happened yesterday. It basically has. Every single night, I am plagued with a nightmare of her death over and over again.

"Chrom? Are you in here?" Emm asked, knocking on the door.

I rubbed my eyes. "Yeah... I'm here..."

Emm came into my room and sat down on the couch with me. "How are you feeling?"

I looked down. "...I don't know..." I murmured. "...Have you heard anything from Papa?"

Emm shook her head and wrapped her arms around me. "No, and I don't think I want to," she sighed. "Gods know how he's going to react when he finds out that Mother is dead. I don't think he will handle it well..."

I tensed and held Lissa closer. "What is he going to do to Lissa?!"

"...I don't think I want to know."

Emm engulfed me and Lissa into a tight hug and began to cry. All I could do it stay in place and cry with her.

I won't let him touch you, Lissa. Father says I have the blood of a warrior, so I'm going to use it to protect you!

...

"Chrom, your father's party has returned to Ylisstol," Mina said.

I clenched my fists and let my tears fall onto the ground. "Where's Lissa?"

"With Lady Emmeryn," she replied. "They're in the Great Hall: awaiting your father's arrival."

I nodded and turned to the door. "Thanks..."

Like Mina said, there were Emm and Lissa. Emm and I shared a look of sorrow and determination before she handed Lissa off to me. The doors opened, and we waited for Father's booming voice to demand for us and Mama.

However, we were greeted by a band of broken warriors. One of them in the front was carrying a sword-shaped parcel. He dropped it on the ground with a clattering noise, and Falchion revealed itself.

"King Matthias is dead. He was killed by Plegian soldiers after he slaughtered their king."

I went numb.

I forgot how to breathe.

Everything was fuzzy.

However, my heart wasn't broken.

I didn't feel the same remorse as I did when Mama died. I felt sad, shocked, confused...and relieved.

"D-dead?! He's really dead?!" Emm choked out.

The soldier bowed. "Yes, Lady Emmeryn. Or should I say Exalt Emmeryn?"

Emm gasped and began to shake. "E-exalt... I'm the Exalt of Ylisse..."

I looked at her, and I've never seen her more scared in my life. "Emm..."

She clenched her fists and stood straight. "Summon Hierarch. I must discuss our next plan of action. He'll also need to arrange a coronation. But my first priority is to the people of Ylisse. Parties can wait until the country is stable." She turned to the soldiers. "All of you, head to the Healer's Ward. Now. You must rest and tend to your wounds." The soldiers bowed and did as they were told, and a servant ran off to find Hierarch.

Emm let out a breath and turned to me. "Chrom, I need you to take Lissa back to your room and take care of her."

"But I want to help!"

Emm held up a hand. "You are helping. I want to know that both of my siblings are safe. You can protect Lissa, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah! I won't let anything happen to her!"

Emm smiled and kissed my forehead. "Good." She kissed Lissa's forehead. "Don't give your brother too much trouble."

I smiled back and journeyed back to my room, Lissa contently sleeping in my arms. "I'm sorry that you'll never get a chance to meet Mama and Papa, Lissa... I promise to tell you stories about them!" She opened her eyes and cooed at me. "I promise to protect you, Lissa. You, Emm and I will find a way to get through life together!"

____________

The one time a death is happy T_T. Anyways, I'm sorry that there wasn't an update last week, I was just bombarded with things to do. Updates will be uploaded regularly from now on. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!