Attacked

Evelina

I woke up to Anna poking my face. I groaned and rolled over, not ready to wake up. "Mama, Ms. Karina is crying!"

That woke me up. 

I shot up and looked at Anna. "What happened?"

Anna shrugged her little shoulders. "Dunno!"

I tore the blanket off my body and ran downstairs. There, Karina was clutching a note and crying uncontrollably. "Karina?!" I was at her side in seconds. "Karina, what's wrong!?"

"He's dead..."

My heart stopped. No... "Oh, Karina, I'm so-"

"King Matthias is dead!" Karina faced me, a wide smile on her face. "The war is over! Princess Emmeryn declared it herself! She's bringing my husband home!"

"Th-that's amazing!" I hugged her tightly. "Do you know when he's returning?"

She shook her head. "There should be a messenger coming within the next few days with information on about the troops," she said.

"I'm so glad this war is over..." I sighed, sitting down on one of the wooden chairs. "Now it'll finally be somewhat safe for me and Anna to travel."

Karina's smile turned into a look of sadness. "Oh...you mean, you won't be staying?" she asked, her voice quivering. "Because- you and Anna are more than welcome to stay with us for as long as you need!"

I placed my hand on top of hers. "I'm so sorry, my friend, but Anna and I must leave someday." I would want nothing more than to stay with Karina, but I cannot let her come into harm's way because of me.

Karina sighed and looked down. "I see... Well, can you at least stay until my husband returns home?" she requested.

I smiled. "Of course." I squeezed her hand. "So, have you thought of any names for the baby?"

She placed a hand on her stomach. "Well, I really feel like it's a girl, so I want to name her Lilly!" she exclaimed. "But on the off chance that it is a boy, I want to name him Gaius."

I nodded. "Those are wonderful names. Whichever gender, the baby is going to have an amazing life with amazing parents."

Karina smiled warmly. "Thank you, Evelina. That truly means a lot to me."

...

I was cleaning the kitchens with Anna when I heard a knock on the door. "I'll get it!" I yelled to Karina, who was resting upstairs. I opened the door, and my heart stopped.

Standing there, was a Grimleal soldier.

He wasted no time in grabbing my collar and pointing a sword at my throat. "Where is the child?"

"I'll never let you have her!" I spat in his face.

He brought the sword closer. "Where. Is. She?"

Out of instinct, I punched him in the gut, making him topple over. I pulled out my Thunder tome and snarled. "You will never lay your hands on my daughter as long as I draw breath!" I shot a bolt of magic at him, and he stopped moving.

Karina opened her window and looked down at me. "Evelina?! What's wrong?!"

"Karina, I need you to evacuate everyone and run to the nearest town!" I shouted back.

"But-"

"GO!" I yelled, tears in my eyes. "You've been the greatest friend I've ever known and you've given me more than I deserve. I don't know if we'll see each other again, but know that you're going to be an amazing parent and I love you like a sister. Now, go!" Karina nodded and ran back inside to warn everyone.

I picked up the dead soldier's sword and began to patrol the area. "If there's one, there's bound to be more somewhere-"

"MOMMY!!!!" Anna's bloodcurdling scream made me sprint as fast as I could into the inn.

There, another soldier was grabbing a writhing Anna. "Mommy! Help me!" You didn't have to tell me twice.

"DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HER!!!" I ran my sword through the soldier and kicked him to the ground; catching Anna in the process. I quickly sheathed my sword and ran upstairs to grab my things.

"Mommy...what's going on?" Anna began to cry.

I slung my bag over my shoulders and ran out of the inn. "I'll explain everything later, pumpkin. We have to get out of here!"

Anna nodded and hugged my neck. "Ok, Mommy..."

I blinked back my tears as I ran. ...I cannot let this happen ever again... I can't allow myself to get close to anyone. I cannot stay in one place for an extended period of time. I can't let others suffer because of me.

____________

Poor Evelina can't have nice things. So, I just noticed that this just reached 1K reads! Thank you so so so much! Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!