The Basis of Magic

Anna
18 Months Later...

"Mommy? Where are we going?" I squeezed her hand and tried my best to keep up with her.

"Ms. Fernwood asked us to go a quick errand for her," she replied. "We'll pick up some things from the market and then head back to the inn, ok?"

I bounced my head. "Ok, Mommy!"

Mommy now lets me go do things with her! Now that I'm five, I'm almost an adult! I don't need to stay back at the inns whenever she leaves to do something! I'm practically a grown up!

As we got closer to the market, more people appeared. I stayed close to Mommy. I don't like being near so many people... They scare me...

"Are you alright, Little Bird?"

I jumped and quickly nodded. "Yes! I'm ok! I'm not scared of anything!" Mommy gave me a strange look and continued forward. The air started to smell funny and it got harder to breathe. "What's that smell?"

Mommy looked around. "Smoke. Some of the townsfolk are burning the dead leaves that they have collected this fall."

I wrinkled my nose. "I don't like it."

"No one does," Mommy giggled. "C'mon, I promise that this trip will be short."

"Ok..."

...

"Th-th...er?"

I moved my face closer to the yellow book Mommy always carried and tried to read it. "Why does Mommy make this look so easy! Th...d...er?"

"Thunder." Mommy came into our room and took the book from me. "It says thunder. You know, the rumbly stuff you hear whenever there's a big storm?" 

"Oooh!" I sat up and stared at her. "Cool! What does that book do?"

Mommy smiled. "It's a spell tome; magic. You use it to fight." She set it down and sat next to me. "You're too young to know magic, sweetheart. Tomes are very dangerous if you don't know how to use them."

"When did you use magic for the first time?"

She sighed and wrapped an arm around me. "Gods, that was years ago!" she laughed. "Well, I was about six or seven, and my older brother and I got into this HUGE argument. I can't really remember what it was, but I was really mad. I took one of my Mother's tomes and started waving it around! That only made my brother laugh at me! I was so mad! Then, the tome started sparking and the next thing I knew: we were thrown backward! No one got seriously hurt, thank the gods, but we were bedridden for about three days afterward."

She hugged me close and smiled. "Ah, sorry, dear. It seems a rambled. You must be bored."

I shook my head. "No! I like your stories! Also, you look really happy when you tell them!"

Mommy's smile started to look sadder. "Yes, well...it makes me happy to tell stories of my childhood... It feels so nice to finally tell them to someone, let alone my own daughter..."

"Mommy?"

She said nothing.

"Mommy!" I poked her face. "Don't be sad! I'm sorry for making you sad! Don't be mad at me!"

She snapped out of whatever she was thinking about. "I'm not sad! And I could never be mad at you!" She kissed her forehead. "S-sorry, I was just lost in thought."

"Ok." I nodded. "When can I learn magic?"

"When you're older," she smiled, sitting up and grabbing a book. "Now, why don't we work on reading? That'll be one step forward to learning magic."

"Yay!!!" I scooted closer and looked over the pages.

This still makes no sense to me. Oh well! I can do this! I can do anything!

*****

Got those Tale of Two Cities time-skips like XD So yes. It's 18 months later. I normally don't do this, but I didn't have any other ideas. So, Anna is five and Chrom is six. Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 2K READS!!!!! It seriously means so much to me. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more. <3