Become Your Own Person

Evelina

"They're trapped in Plegia, Lina... The majority of the army is trapped!" Karina clung to my dress and sobbed uncontrollably.

I held onto her and rubbed comforting patterns onto her back. "Shh... Calm yourself, Karina..." I whispered. "They will get out, soon. The thaw just finished, so they will be able to escape! I promise!"

Karina looked up at me, tears shining in her pale green eyes. "...How can you be so sure, Evelina? This war has done nothing but bring chaos to all of Ylisse."

I stroked her black hair and hugged her closer. "I know, I know. But it has to be over soon. You will see your husband again. I swear it."

We sat there in silence for a few minutes.

"...How can King Matthias be so selfish?" Karina clenched her fists. "He has everything he could ever want! He has a family! What do they think of his actions? He could be happy with them, but he instead tears other families apart for his own war. It's not fair! I wish he would just die!"

This was the first time I've ever seen Karina explode like this. She is normally so caring and sweet. She never insults people or wishes them harm.

"And what about his own children? Who's to say that they won't grow up to be like him?"

My heart twinged. "Karina, please don't say that," I begged her.

Karina glared at me. "I heard that his son his practically identical to that bastard! And that he is going to be trained in warfare the second he's able to wield a sword. That son of his is going to become his father. We won't be able to escape Matthias no matter how hard we try!"

That did it for me.

I stood up and clenched my fists. "His children will become whatever they want to be. They will not become their father. They can escape that fate," I growled.

Karina gave me a confused look. "Oh yeah? And why do you say that? Why do you have so much faith in his dammed children?" she asked.

"...The whole reason I ran away with Anna is so that she doesn't become her father," I sneered. "I gave up everything. My home, my loved ones, my chance at an easy life, everything, so that I could make sure my daughter is safe. So she doesn't become something she does not want to be."

Karina starred at me in horror. "Oh... Oh, Evelina, I'm so sorry-"

I held up a hand. "No child has to become their parent. They live their life how they want to." I glanced over to Anna who was playing in the other room. "Just like my Anna. She can be whatever she wants to be. Whether it be a tactician, mercenary, chef, knight; hell, she could even become a queen if she wants to! My point is: children don't have to become their parents if they don't want to. The children in the royal family will follow whatever path they feel like, not their parents'." 

After a few moments of silence, Karina sighed. "What about you, Lina? You're an excellent role model! I wouldn't be surprised if Anna follows in your footsteps!" she exclaimed.

Normally, that would warm a parent's heart. However, it instead made me think back to all that has happened in my life. The pain, the hardship, the sacrifices. ...I do not wish any of that upon my child.

"...I will not Anna to follow in my footsteps, either." I let out a breath. "I do not want her to live the life I did."

Karina looked at me with wide eyes. "What?! Why not?!"

I sat back down and buried my face in my shaky hands. "Because I've made every mistake I could in my life! I cannot let that happen to my daughter!" I said firmly. "I will make sure that Anna does not fall down the same path as me. I can't watch that mistake happen twice."

"Evelina..." Karina reached out for my hands. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't know the topic was so sensitive to you. I promise that I will never make assumptions like that again."

I looked up at her and smiled. "Thank you, Karina. I only want what's best for my Anna. Nothing more. I will make sure she is happy with her life."

Karina placed a hand on her stomach and sighed. "They're not even born and yet I feel the exact same way about my baby." She smiled warmly. "I just hope that they can be born into a peaceful world."

I placed my hand on hers and looked out the window. "I promise you, peace will come sooner than you think. I swear it."

She smiled. "And I truly hope you're right, dear friend."

_________

So I don't know where this is on the angst meter. After last week, I'm pretty sure the bar is set really high XD. I'm going to try my best to get everything done in time, but it may be a challenge because I have about a million and a half things going on. I promise that I will do everything that I can so write everything in time. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!