Changes

Chrom
One Month Later...

"Mina? Will Emm be back soon?"

Mina sighed and patted my head. "Yes, little lord. She will." she smiled. "She just has to take care of a few things."

I crossed my arms. "She's been so busy!" I pouted.

"Well, yes. That is expected for the Exalt."

It's been over a month since my world broke. Emm hasn't taken on the role of the Exalt, yet, but she will once Ylisse is stable enough. The rebuild has been slow, and Emm's been dealing with a lot of angry people. She won't let me help or see. She tells me to take care of Lissa and stay out of the adult business. I want to help her!

Just then, Emm came into the room. She looked tired. "Emm!" I ran up to her and hugged her.

Her shoulders slacked and she hugged me back. "Hello, Chrom. Is Lissa alright?"

"Yes! She is! I'm taking good care of her!" I took her hand and dragged her to Lissa's crib, where she was currently sleeping. "See? She's ok!"

I small smile crept on Emm's face. "Good. I'm glad," she sighed. "I'm so sorry that I haven't been here as much as I'd like. I promise that things will cool down."

"How are the people? Are they mad?"

She didn't answer right away. "...Let's not talk about that." She turned to Mina. "Mina, I would like to talk to Chrom in private."

"Of course, Milady." Mina bowed and left the room.

Emm let out a breath and sat me down. "Chrom, I'm going to address the people publicly tomorrow afternoon, and I'd like you to come."

I gasped and smiled widely. "Really?!"

Emm giggled and nodded. "Yes. These are your people, too," she said. "However, I must warn you that some people will not take kindly to us. I need you to promise me that you'll keep your anger under control in case something happens."

I frowned. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Please, Chrom. It is difficult to explain."

I sighed and nodded slowly. "Ok...I promise..."

Emm smiled and kissed the top of my head. "Thank you, Chrom."

...

Emm looked strange in a crown. She was dressed in a green robe and the crown that Papa always wore sat atop her head. She looked so mature and different.

"Chrom, are you ready?" Emm asked me.

I snapped out of my daze and nodded. "Yeah, let's go!" I said.

We were lead into the town square by an entourage of guards. As I looked around, I saw the faces of many different people. I stayed close to Emm and tried to not let the overwhelming sense of fear get the best of me. Some people were smiling, but some were frowning and yelling mean things at us. Is this what Emm meant by keeping my anger under control?

We finally stopped, and Emm cleared her voice to speak. "People of Ylisstol, I am sure you have many questions as to what is going to happen to the kingdom. As you know, I am ending this war once and for all. Your families will return to you, soon. As your future Exalt, I will rule my land with peace and fairness. No longer will you need to fear losing a loved one for the sake of a silly war."

"Oh yeah? Well, the Plegians have different plans!" A man yelled. "They still want to pick a fight with us! It won't be that long until another war is at our doorstep!"

Emm closed her eyes and nodded. "I understand that. Plegia has every reason to be angry with us right now. However, I will not allow another war. Both of our countries are weak, and we must rebuild," she said. "We will worry about Ylisse for the time being. I will work my very hardest to care for her and undo my father's mistakes."

"Lying wench!" Another man hurled a stone at Emm, and it hit her right in the cheek. Chaos broke out. People were yelling and pushing each other. They said things to us that made my blood boil.

"Emm!" I tried to go to her, but one of the escorts held me back. I wanted to find the man who hurt her and make him pay.

The guards were one step ahead of me. They took the man and forced him to the ground, ready to strike him with their swords. Just as they were about to do so, Emm interfered.

"Stop! We will not resort to violence!" She stood up and held her bloody cheek. "No one will be killed today. Or tomorrow. Or ever. I will not take control of my kingdom my striking fear into the hearts of my people."

She took away her hand and examined the blood. My heart stopped. The gash on her cheek was large and it wouldn't stop bleeding. However, she kept speaking.

"Ylisse is a land of peace, now. Not war. I understand that some of you do not trust my words, and I do not blame you. However, I am not King Matthias. I am not my father. I will show the same kindness that Queen Lucia shared with you all. My mother's spirit burns brightly in my heart, and I will never forget her teachings." Emm put a hand on her heart and bowed. "Please, I am begging all of you: be kind to one another. Treat others with respect. Accept everyone for who they are. You are all the reason Ylisse is such a strong kingdom. Don't let her break."

How?! How is she so calm about this?! How can she forgive them?!

Emm bowed once more and signaled for the entourage to lead us back home. I locked eyes with Emm and tried to hold back my tears. "We will talk later." She mouthed.

I nodded and looked forward.

...

"They deserve to be punished! They spoke against you and hurt you!" I shouted.

"No, they do not," Emm said calmly. A bandage was placed on her cheek where the gash was. She said that it would likely leave a scar.

I sat down and frowned. "Why not?!"

"Because they are allowed to be mad." She looked up at me. "Our family has caused a lot of grief to these people."

That only fueled my anger. "We've done nothing!" I clenched my fists. "It was Father who did everything! Those who disagree with you should be punished!"

"Shh...hush." Emm got up and hugged me. "You have Father's spirit and Mother's heart, you know? Do not let his spirit cloud your judgment. Allow your heart to lead you where it wants. Listen to what it has to say."

I buried my face in her shoulder and held back my tears. "But...they hurt you..."

"All wounds will heal with time, Chrom," she whispered. "Until then, we just have to work and wait. Peace will return to this land."

I let my tears flow freely. "Ok, Emm... I trust you..."

Listen to my heart...? How do I do that? My heart doesn't speak! I hope this makes sense someday...

__________

Welp, the angst factor will never end. I have no regrets. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!