Becoming a Hero

Chrom

10 Months Later...

It was a warm, calm July day. Puffy white clouds dotted the sky but showed no signs of rain. A gentle breeze blew by, rustling the grass. The sounds of hooves on dirt filled the serene landscape.

I smiled to myself, reaching down to stroke my mount's mane. Riding on horseback really gives you a different perspective of the world... It feels like the wind is right at my back! I was gifted a stallion for my fifteenth birthday. His coat was a greyish white and mane and tail of dark brown. I decided to name him Albern.

Emm was called to a nearby town to assist its lord with a matter he wouldn't say. The town was only a few hours from Ylisstol, so we were able to travel there on horseback. Lissa stayed back at the castle, both uninterested in political matters and too wrapped up with her medical training. Of course, we had a few guards with us - including Frederick - but I tagged along so I could rest easy knowing I can keep Emm safe.

"We're approaching the town, Your Grace." Our escort announced.

Emm was riding at the front of the party, guards flanking her on both sides. "All right, thank you."

I don't know what to expect, honestly. This lord wouldn't specify why he needed Emm; I would be lying if I said I wasn't a tad suspicious. Well, I guess he's lucky for his good reputation. Still, I hope everything is all right...

...

"Milord, your sister requested that I accompany you as you explore the town," Frederick bowed.

I sighed internally. Of course, she did. He always finds me whenever I try slipping away. "Ok, Frederick. Whatever Emm says." Everything appeared to be normal. There were no riots or destroyed buildings. Whatever problem the lord had, it definitely had nothing to do with the state of the town. I decided to abstain from accompanying Emm to council. I wasn't really in the mood to hear people drone on about political stuff.

We walked around the town, enjoying its quaintness. The lack of people was new to me, but living in one of the grandest cities in the kingdom made it hard to compare. For all I knew, this could be the norm population of places.

As we were walking, we spotted a group of kids behind a building. It looked like they were up to no good. "Frederick, do you see that?" I pointed to the kids.

The knight peered off, nodding. "Yes. Shall we investigate?"

"It doesn't look like anyone else is!" Without waiting for him, I sprinted in the direction of the kids. As I got closer, I discovered what was going on. Surrounded by a group of five kids was a red-headed boy no older than Lissa. The kids were shouting and laughing at him. The young boy was crouched on the ground, covering his ears and trembling.

"Whatcha gonna do, Ricken? Cry for Mommy?" A girl sneered, making her companions laugh.

"Mommy won't help you! She already has enough problems!" A boy stuck out his tongue.

Another boy snickered. "It's too bad you're her biggest one!"

"Hey! Leave him alone!" I snarled, approaching the kids.

They turned to me, expressions holding not a care in the world. The boy being bullied looked up, hope gleaming in his eyes. "And who the hell are you?" A different girl asked, crossing her arms.