Like Mother Like Wolf

Evelina
7 Months Later...

...What have I done?

I held Anna to me as tightly as possible in hopes to keep her warm. What was I thinking?!?! Why did I ever think that it was a good idea to stay in the wild during winter?!

Due to the events of last year, I decided that Anna and I mustn't stay in inns or towns anymore. I didn't want anyone to get hurt because of me. However, this winter proved to be one of the worst, and to add to all of my misfortune: a freak snowstorm just hit. And to top it all off: Anna has fallen sick.

I managed to find a cave to hide in, but it did little in helping us stay warm; the only things we had was each other, piles of blankets, and a small fire.

"Mommy...I'm cold and hot..." Anna muttered, coughing violently.

I hugged her trembling body. "I know, sweetheart. I know. I promise that you'll feel better, soon." I really, REALLY hope so.

I wanted to stay awake, but my body wanted to give up. I was so tired and cold and hungry. I don't know how much longer I can hold on. As I was about to pass out, I heard a low growl.

Looking towards the cave entrance, I saw a large she-wolf enter, followed by four pups. My heart stopped. Oh gods oh gods oh gods. What do I do? I can't leave Anna, but I have to fight! But I'm in no condition to do that! The she-wolf circled me warily, her pups in tow.

"S-stay back!" I shouted. "I won't cause you any harm! I just needed a place to rest!" Annnd now I'm reasoning with a wolf. Great.

I expected her to strike; to end me and Anna's lives just like that. However, something amazing happened.

Maybe she sensed my fear or maybe the motherly instinct took over. She stalked over to me and sniffed a couple times. Then, she laid down next to me as her pups did the same. What in Naga's name is going on...?

I was scared to move. I was afraid that this wolf will snap at me at any second. To my surprise, Anna managed to reach her hand out and pet one of the wolves. She smiled and stopped trembling.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and my body forced itself to relax. I truly don't understand what's going on. As I stared at the wolves, a thought came over me. Wait...don't wolves usually travel in packs and mate for life? Why is she alone? Is her mate coming back? I looked around the cave, and it appeared as though nothing has made a home out of it for a long time. This can't be their den, then. ...Maybe the mate lost to the elements and she and the pups are on their own... Guess we have something in common, then.

Sighing, I closed my eyes and allowed sleep to take me.

...

"Oh, you poor thing!" The innkeeper exclaimed as I told her my story. "I can't believe you got caught in such a bad storm!"

I nodded and held Anna tight. "I was lucky to live through it, honestly..." I muttered. "Please, my daughter is sick and I don't know what to do! Can you please help us? I'll do anything!"

The innkeeper held up her hands. "Say no more. There's nothing I wouldn't do for a mother and her sick child. Please, right this way."

I followed her but kept my eyes on the ground. I owe those wolves a debt of gratitude for saving me and Anna... I shouldn't be so stubborn! Anna could have died from my stupidity! From now on, I'm going to be more careful. I can't let anything like this happen again.

*****

Will things probably get less angsty sometime in the future? Idk, probably not XD. Anyway, if you haven't already, go check out my writing challenge that you can participate in! Details on it are located on my page and in My Random Thoughts. I hope you consider participating! I will be accepting submissions until March 3rd. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Currently listening to: You Will Be Found: Dear Evan Hanson Soundtrack