Marriage?!

Chrom
4 Months Later...

Just a couple more months, and then I'll be learning how to be a proper prince of Ylisse... I kicked at the dirt and sighed. I really wish it could have been later...

"Hey! Chrom! Quit sulking!" Sully smacked me on the head with a wooden sword.

"Ow!" I yelped in pain and turned to my friend, rubbing the back of my head. "What was that for?!"

Sully laughed, a lock of her long, red hair falling in front of her eye. "I've been calling you for the past minute and you didn't listen, stupid!"

About a month ago, a group of people from the duchy of Lullin came to Ylisstol for reasons Emm won't explain to me. All I was told about them was that they're respected knights of Ylisse. The Duke brought his two sons and his daughter, Sully, who was less than a year older than me. The adults and Emm wouldn't let me or Sully into their meetings; saying that it was "important business for the Exalt". Emm isn't even the Exalt, yet!

I expected Sully to be one of those normal noble ladies, but I was dead wrong. She was brash, strong, and nothing like the ladies I've been told about. I grew attached to her pretty quickly. We often played outside together while everyone was doing their important work. I finally have a friend of my very own!

However, she can be a handful.

I glared at her. "You could have just poked me!" I growled.

"Where's the fun in that?" She winked. "C'mon! Let's play spar!" She threw another wooden sword at my feet.

Rolling my eyes, I picked it up. "Do you do anything else but train?"

"Nope! Now, en guarde!"

For a little girl in a dress, Sully could fight surprisingly well. She kept her guard up and her blows were strong. As she was about to strike again, her hair fell in front of her eyes. I took my chance and knocked her down.

"Ah! Darn it!" she cursed. "I hate my hair!"

I helped her up. "Why?"

"It always falls in front of my eyes when I fight!" she complained, throwing her sword on the ground. "I wish I could cut it to look like my brother's! But Dad won't let me!"

I sighed and placed my own sword down. "I'm sure you can find some way to make it not so annoying! Now let's go back inside, I'm hungry!"

"Fine..."

...

Sully and I raced each other to the Dining Hall.

"Can't catch me!" I laughed.

"I bet I can!"

As we neared the Dining Hall, I could hear voices, and they sounded really serious.

"Please, I beg you to reconsider, Your Grace," Sir Jocelyn said. Sully and I shared a look and pressed our ears against the door.

Emm let out a sigh. "I'm sorry, but marriage is the last thing on my mind."

MARRIAGE?!

"I am not even of age, Jocelyn! I understand that a betrothal for the future could be set in place, but I am not worried about that. I will marry when the time is right, and that time is not now."

"But my one of my sons would be a perfect match for you! Think about it: a fine knight as king? What could be better than that?" Sir Jocelyn pleaded.

"No, and that is final. You've been trying to sway my hand for a month. I will not marry until I am older and ready."

THIS is what was happening?!?! "NOOO!" I crashed into the room and hurled myself at Emm. "I don't want you to get married! Not now, not ever!"

Emm hugged me tightly. "You must forgive my brother! He's very defensive of me!" she apologized.

I looked up and glared at Sir Jocelyn and his sons. "Emm won't ever marry you! Not as long as I'm still protecting her! Which is forever!"

One of the sons cleared his throat. "Prince Chrom, you have to understand that what we want to do is for the good of Ylisse! We simply want to be her protector-"

"Well, I already promised Mama that I would protect her! And my sisters! So that job is already taken!" I spat. "So bug off!"

"Chrom!" Emm sat up and clutched my hand. "You'll have to excuse us. I must speak with my brother privately."

She tugged on my arm and led me to the other room. There, I collapsed in her arms and began to cry. "I don't want you to get married! Ever!"

Emm sighed and patted my head. "I have to marry someday, Chrom. But that day is not today or a day years from now."

That didn't help. "I want you to be happy... I don't want you to be forced to marry someone you hate..."

She kissed my forehead. "I won't, buddy. I promise." She let out a breath. "But speaking of marriage..."

"I'm never getting married! Ever!" I stomped my foot and crossed my arms.

"Let me finish," Emm said. "Another Lord has planned a visit. His daughter is the girl Father wanted you to marry."

My heart dropped. "...What?"

Emm hugged me tightly once more. "You don't have to marry her. You won't ever have to do that. But I want you to make new friends. You already get along well with Sully, this girl should be no different!"

I sat down and pouted. "I don't care about friends anymore. I just want to be friends with you and Lissa, now."

"We can't have that," Emm smirked. "When you are older, you will learn to appreciate your true friends for who they are. Trust me: friends can help you through the darkest of times. Take my friendship with Phila for example. She is the one person I'm comfortable around. My most trusted confidant. And when she's not training to become a Pegasus Knight: she's with me. I don't know where I would be without her."

...Maybe friends will make things better. I feel really happy when I'm around Sully, so maybe this girl can make me happy, too! I won't marry her, though. No marriage for me! Ever!

I sighed and leaned onto Emm. "Ok. I'll be her friend."

Emm smiled. "I'm glad," she said. "She'll be here in a week, so you two and Sully can hang out with each other!"

I nodded. "Ok! Sounds great!"

She kissed my head. "Now, let's have some lunch, ok?"

"Yeah!"

*****

Tiny defensive Chrom is best Chrom. Try and guess who this mystery girl is ;) Anyway, thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Currently listening to: The Other Side: The Greatest Showman Soundtrack