Of Divine Blood

Chrom

"Chroooom! My cocoa is too hot!!!"

I laughed and took the small mug away from my little sister. "Mina warned you to wait a few minutes before drinking it!"

Lissa stuck out her swollen tongue and pouted. "But I want it noooow!"

I wrapped the blanket tighter around us and exhaled. "In a little bit, you silly."

"I wouldn't laugh so much, Chrom." Emm leaned against the doorway, smiling. "You were exactly like that when you were her age," she waltzed over to us, "and you still are."

I swatted her hand as she ruffled my hair. "Am not!"

She sat down and joined our cocoon of warmth. "Whatever you say, baby brother."

I opened my mouth to say something, but Lissa beat me to it. "Tell us a story!!!"

Emm laughed and began running her fingers through Lissa's short blonde hair. "What kind of story?" she asked.

"A Nagamas one!"

She smiled warmly at us. "Very well. Why not the story of how Nagamas came to be?"

Lissa looked up at Emm in awe. "Ooooh! Ok!"

I shrugged. "I haven't heard the story in a while, so I'm ok with it," I said.

Emm cleared her throat. "Thousands of years ago, beings called the Divine Dragons roamed the earth. Among those dragons was their leader: a kind and loving being named Naga. Naga loved the humans and would do anything to protect them. She fought, guided, and sacrificed for them. She gave many gifts to humanity in order to better protect ourselves in case of a dire future." She placed a hand on her heart. "However, like how most things must end, Naga herself was no exception. According to ancient texts, the 25th of December was the day she passed. So, we celebrate Nagamas in honor of her passing day. We continue spreading her love and kindness by spending time with our loved ones and friends; giving them gifts and celebrating the season."

Lissa gasped. "Emm! You're like Naga!" she exclaimed. "You're nice and love people!"

Emm giggled. "Thank you, Lissa. I try to follow Naga's footsteps as a ruler."

I eyes drifted to the Brand on her forehead. "Aren't we linked to Naga, Emm?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes, the first Exalt was granted power by Naga, and our family has carried her holy blood since then. Our Brands prove that her bond with us is still strong," she replied.

Lissa tugged on Emm's sleeve. "Where's my Brand?"

Emm patted her head and smiled. "It will surface eventually, give it time."

As my sisters talked, I tuned them out. Do I really have dragon blood in me? How could I have a connection to a godly dragon who has been dead for thousands of years? And what does Emm mean by "dire futures"? What does that mean? Is something going to happen? Will I be the only one who can stop it? Do people really think I am great enough to rise up and do something like that?

Oh well... I guess I'll just leave that up to whichever descendants of mine have to deal with that dire future.

*****

So I have some news. Once again, I am very very very sorry, but I don't know if I will be able to post a new update for Before Awakening next week. I am absolutely overwhelmed with everything and I literally have had no writing time. I know I am saying this a lot, but it's the truth. I PROMISE that I will be back on top of things soon, but I'm just unable to right now. I am so sorry. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more.