New Year's Celebration (Multiple)

There's a pretty long message after the one-shot that you don't have to read if you don't want to.

=================================

"Why do we have to host this year's New Year's party again?" Glitch grumbled as you stirred the food that was in the pot as it cooked.

"Because Mark did it last year, Fire's place is still being renovated, Dark did it two years ago, the Host can't cook even if he tried, Wilford can't cook because he just can't, Authoriplier doesn't want anyone in his house, Kittyplier doesn't have any food other than fish, Voodoo's most likely going to send us to another dimension if he tries anything, Y-"

"I get it, I get it," he groaned, placing his head in his hands. "I just don't see why I have to live with you at the moment, considering it's your turn anyway."

"Hey, you live with me because Mark told you to.  It's not my fault he's my brother," you pointed out. "And what, you don't want to spend time with me anymore?"

"It's not that.  I'm just not good with people," he muttered, almost miserably at that.

"You can do what you always do, then. Stay in the corner and wait until the drinks come out," you smirked, passing some appetizers to him. "Now, put this on the table while I get the champagne out."

"You have something for Mark, right?" he asked as he walked to the dining room. "As in, the drink won't kill him?"

"I'm not stupid," you scowled, showing him the non-alcoholic drink that you bought for your brother. "Is the table set up? They're coming soon."

"How soon is soon?" he asked as you heard the clattering of plates and utensils.

"Half an hour," you muttered, and there was a crash.

"Half an hour?!" He looked distraught. "We barely have enough time to do anything at this rate!"

"We'll make it, Glitch.  It's just the food that's left," you said to him as you set up the table. "The gang won't mind if we add some finishing touches as they come in, anyway."

"I guess...." Glitch sighed, but still looked unsure.  You smiled at the man's quiet nature and patted him on the head.

"Relax.  You'll live longer," you chuckled, handing him a pot. "Now put this into a bowl and put it on the table.  I gotta get the drinks out of the fridge."

As he went to finish up the table, you get the drinks, both alcoholic and not, out of the fridge, then placed it on the counter.

"This'll be great, Glitch.  I promise."

Mark screamed to start it off. "TEN!"

Dark continued it. "Nine!"

Fire and Ice shouted, "EIGHT!"

Glitch half-heartedly yelped, "Seven!"

You followed with, "Six!"

Wilford smirked, "Five!"

Emo sighed, "Four."

Kitty meowed a "three", then started licking his paw.

The King (of the Squirrels) shouted, "Two!"

And all at once, you all howled at the top of your lungs, "ONE!"
And the horn that you bought at a dollar store rang throughout the house as the start of a new year began.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!" bellowed around the house, echoing within each other's hearts.

And you knew- at least, you promised yourself- that you would make this year better than the last.

=================================

Word count: 528

Wow.  2018 already.  Let me tell you, it's been one hell of a ride for me.  And I'm not sure whether I mean that in a good way or a bad way.

First of all, hey.  We did something.  It was pretty great.  I mean, I'm still sort of wondering what that thing was, but you're all here and I'm still alive, so that's something to smile about.

Secondly, I think I accomplished a few things in life.  They're mostly personal, so I won't bother you with that, but I feel (somewhat) proud of the few things that I managed to do.  It's been alright.

Thirdly, I haven't lost my fricking mind.  Yeah.  I'm actually amazed by that.  And I'm actually being serious, not just "freaking out" lost my mind, but I didn't go crazy.  I thought I would, to be honest.  Sometimes, I was just so close to just losing it, but I never did.

Let me get serious with you, just for a second.  It's, uh... it's been pretty bad, this year.  And if not this year, these past few months.  It's been rough.  I mean, really rough for me.  Let me get frank with you, I haven't been feeling up to par as of late.  And I know, I know, I do this way too much, and I'm really sorry.  But I feel like I need to get some stuff off my chest before I start anything else this new year.

School's been rougher than usual.  New faces, new friends... new enemies.  God, my heart aches just thinking about it.  The stress just piles and piles, but not just academically.  There are so many confessions I want to make, but I don't have the courage to do so.  So many mistakes I wish I could have taken back.  So many things I wanted to do.  I think I want something.  Something that I can't have.  It's so strange.  Scary, maybe?  But I wanted it to be different.  To be better.  But it just isn't.  It's just not working out for me.  For anyone around me.

My family's been a bit wonky for the past while.  Tensions are higher than they have been in a while.  I always think I'm caught up in the middle of them (sometimes I actually am), and it's been a bit iffy for me.  But that's personal.  A bit too personal to get into too much detail about.

I have a question, that I want you to answer for me because God knows I don't have any answers for myself.  What do you do when you know you're breaking something, but you don't know what?  You don't know what you're breaking if it's someone or something, physical or mental, but you know it's something, and when it finally does break, you will too.  It makes my heart physically want to burst.

But, I don't want to burden you.  I think I've said enough.  Let's just make sure this year gets better, yeah?  The past is in the past, and we can't change it.  But what we can do?  Well, you'd be surprised.  Let's do something.  Anything.  And it'll be great.  I promise.

This year's going to be different.  We'll make it different.

And that's a promise I'm going to keep for you.

Thank you for being with me. I will always be here for you. Have an amazing year.  Cherish your family.  Care for your friends.  Forgive your enemies.  And love everybody.  Just as much as I love all of you.

~ Phest