Knight In... Armour? (Jackieboy Man)

Suggested by: MagicalAF.

==============================

"Of course the one night I stay late at work is the one night the subway stops working," you muttered to yourself as you rushed down the dimly lit street. It was a windy evening, and the street you were walking down wasn't necessarily the nicest looking. Street lamps were flickering into darkness, and there seemed to be a strange lack of noises around you. Or maybe it was just your paranoia.

Silently, so you could hear everything happening around you, you pulled your keys from your pocket and tucked them between your fingers to act as a makeshift weapon. You surveyed your surroundings, just to see if anyone was close to you.

There was someone.

A man, hidden in the shadows, looking at you. Watching you. You gulped, your heart rate rising ever so slightly. So you quickened your pace, watching the stranger from your peripherals. He was matching your pace, slowing down when you slowed down and quickening when you did.

You crossed the street quickly, pulling out your phone from your other pocket just in case he tried anything. You told yourself that if he tried anything, you were going to retaliate, and hopefully scare him off.

And attack he did.

It was at the completely wrong moment, as another man was passing by you, but he lunged towards you, making you swing your fist. Your keys scratched his cheek, and he fell back with a groan. The other man ran away, and you lost your only chance of being saved.

"Get away from me!" you screamed, holding up your keys. He raised his hands in surrender, stumbling away.

"Hey, hey! Don't be hasty!" he called, going under a dim, half-broken lamppost.

It was a man in a red leotard and a blue mask. He was holding his cheek as blood stained the already red costume.

"What are you supposed to be?" you asked, not at all intimidated. The man froze, then jumped into what was supposed to be a heroic-looking position.

"I'm Jackieboy Man! And I'm your neighbourhood do-gooder!"

"Do-gooder?" you scoffed. "You attacked me!"

"Attack you? No, I would never do something like that to innocent civilians!" he said, looking quite offended. "That man that was in front of you was planning to kidnap you! That's why I acted when I did, but maybe you mistook my heroic actions for something sinister!"

"Uh... that's sort of hard to not do, when you've been following me down a dark street," you pointed out. He stared at you, and realized what you meant.

"Oh! I am terribly sorry, citizen!" he shouted, now in distress. You weren't even scared, just confused. "My intentions were misguided! I never meant to hurt you!"

"Uh... huh." You just blinked, staring at the strange man. He noticed your gaze, and he slouched slightly, sort of uncomfortable.

"What? Do you not believe me?" He looked a bit sad.

"No, no. Of course not! Thank you for saving my life!" you said, smiling a bit forcibly. You didn't know what else to do. He wasn't a bad man, just someone who wanted to do good in the world... in his own ways.

Jackieboy Man grinned. "You're welcome, citizen. If you ever need my help, you know who to call! You're friendly neighbourhood Jackie-boy Man!"

"Of course! I'll keep it in mind!" you chuckled, just wanting to get home. He nodded, and did his heroic pose again, putting his hands on his hips and looking somewhere up.

"Farewell! Jackie boy Man away!" He raised one arm to the sky, and ran in the opposite direction. Once he turned the corner, you doubled over laughing. He'll make something of his life one day, you were sure of that.

With the fears gone from your mind, you resumed your walk home, through the street that seemed slightly brighter.

==============================

Word count: 640