Missing Decorations (Marvin the Magnificent)

Date: December 31st

Day 7

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Marv, d'you know where my lights are?" you asked, staring at your tree.  It was bare of any decorations, even though you were sure you had put them up weeks ago.

"No, no clue.  Isn't it on the tree?" he asked, hopping down the stairs while fixing his cat mask.

"I thought so, too, but it's not here anymore!" you sighed, staring at your best friend.

"That's strange.  I could've sworn it was on last night," he huffed, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"Yeah, well, that makes two of us." You walked to the front to slip on your shoes and your jacket.

"Where are you going?" Marvin asked you as you were grabbing his car keys.

"Store.  I need to buy more decorations.  I'm not going through Christmas without any decorations," you replied.

"You don't have to go to the store, silly," Marvin chuckled.

"Oh, really, mister?" You turned around and raised an eyebrow at your long-term best friend.

"Really.  I can get decorations for you, and you wouldn't even have to step out into the cold," he answered, quite confidently at that.

"And how?  Your magic tricks aren't that good yet," you pointed out.

The magician just wagged a finger. "You underestimate me, (Y/N)." He pulled out one of those black plastic toy wands that you would find inside a magic kit for children, waving it in your face like he was trying to show it off. "Magic flows in my veins!"

"Alright, Merlin," you chuckled.

"It's Marvin!"

"It was a joke!" you shot back, sticking your tongue out.  He just smiled while flourishing his wand majestically.  He waited for a few seconds, but nothing happened.

"That's strange," he grunted, looking at the tip of the wand with a puzzled look on his face.  He tried again, this time muttering a quiet incantation under his breath, but still, nothing happened.

"I'll just go now," you said, opening the door.

"Hold up, hold up, I got this," he sighed. "Don't be impatient."

He once again waved his wand, but still, nothing.

"Maybe I'm saying the wrong spell," he muttered under his breath. "Expelliarmus!  Accio!  Serpensortia!" Objects started flying around the house, and a snake appeared beside Marvin, but he didn't even seem to notice as it slithered away.

"Marv."

"Waddiwasi!" A wad of gum shot past you, missing your hair by mere inches.

"Marvin."

"Aquamenti!" Water was dripping from his wand, falling to the ground, where it was making a small puddle.

"MARVIN!"

"...Huh?" he asked, looking up at you like he just noticed you talking to him.

"Try something that isn't from the Harry Potter universe," you suggested.

"Oh.  Alright, sure," he shrugged, then started flinging the wand in the air randomly like he was trying to hit something in front of him.  His eyes were screwed shut in a concentrating manner, and his teeth were gritted.

"Abracadabra magic light things!" A long string of small multicoloured Christmas lights shot out from the end of his wand, falling to the ground in a perfect loop.  Baubles of bright colours also fell to the ground, but they shattered upon impact, making large and small shards of glass fly everywhere.

"Well... that worked out better than expected," he laughed nervously after a dozen or so more ornaments fell and broke.

"You're cleaning all this up, right, Marv?" you sighed, placing your head in your hands tiredly.  He looked around the house, just starting to notice the mess.

"Oh.  Yeah, sure.  Was... was that couch there before?" he asked, pointing at the loveseat, which was currently balancing on the dining table.  A few utensils from the kitchen were hanging from the small chandelier in the foyer, and there were coats, jackets, and scarves hanging from the banister.

"No, I don't believe that I would put a couch on the dining table, Marvin."

"Right.  I... figured as much." With another swoosh of his wand, everything that was out of place moved back to its original place, with a few discrepancies, but nothing you couldn't take care of yourself.  The glass was put into a plastic bag to be disposed of properly, and the water was levitated into a small ball and flung out the door, which you closed and locked right after as if it would fly back through with a vengeance.

"Great.  Now let's get these decorations back on our tree," he sighed with fists on his hips.

After another half hour of almost-gruelling work, you were done the tree once more.

"That looks even better than last time," you laughed.

"Aren't you glad that the decorations disappeared now?"

"Maybe just a bit.  Thanks for helping out, Marv," you said, winking at him.

"My pleasure." He wrapped you in a friendly hug and then smiled at you.

"That reminds me...." you said after he let go.

"What's that?" he asked.

"There's a snake in the house."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Word count: 815