Arsonist (Fireplier)

You had recently been getting a lot of calls from civilians about an arsonist setting abandoned buildings and old factories on fire. It had infuriated you that whenever you got the call and raced over there, the culprit had already vanished. You had a migraine just thinking about it.

"Hey, Officer (L/N)?" Peter, your partner called, poking his head through your office door.

"Yeah, Pete?" you sighed, finishing up the paperwork.

"There was a tip-off of the arsonist. We've got the place surrounded, and he hasn't even blown the place up yet," he told you excitedly. You perked your head up, your headache gone immediately.

"What're we waiting for? Let's go!" you ordered, sprinting out of the room.

* At the factory *

"This is the police! Drop your weapon and come out with your hands up!" you shouted at the top of your lungs, watching the front door intently. Multiple officers had their guns out, aiming at the ready, but you didn't. Just in case your finger slipped. "I said, come out with your hands up! We're coming in!"

"Alright, alright! I'm coming!" the culprit yelled back, and the doors slammed open. A man walked out, wearing a red t-shirt and grey sweatpants. His hair was a startling red near the roots of his hair, changing into a sunset orange, then fading to a soft yellow at the top. He didn't seem to have a weapon on him.

"Hands in the air! I won't ask again!" you barked, and he sighed, slowly raising his arms above his head. You moved closer, and you could feel all the guns trained on the man in case he mad a wrong move. You spun him around and nudged him against the brick wall, handcuffing him.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be...."

* Back at the police station *

"(Y/N), you're up for interrogation," Peter told you. You nodded.

"Give me his files," you ordered. He handed you the folder, and you opened it up. Name, blank, date of birth, blank. There was no information on him.

"Yeah, there's nothing on him," Peter nodded, noticing your shocked expression.

"Well, I'll get something then," you grumbled, and walked inside the interrogation room.

"Hey," the unknown man greeted.

"Hello," you replied, wanting to start off professional. "Do you know why you're here?"

"Because I burned down abandoned buildings?" he scoffed, leaning back in the chair, looking uncomfortable. The handcuffs were too tight on him.

"Do you want me to take those off for you?" you asked. He nodded gratefully, and you took out the keys, unlocking the cold metal on his wrists. He sighed in relief, rubbing the slightly bruised skin. You would have to teach the rookies how to put on handcuffs properly... again.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome. Now, can you tell me your name?" you asked.

"Fire," he simply answered. You blinked.

"I need your real name, sir," you explained patiently.

"It is, I promise. I know, hell of a name, but my brother is called Ice," he chuckled. You sighed and shook your head. Parents these days, couldn't they come up with anything sensible?

"Okay, then. Date of birth?"

"Erm... well, it's complicated," he answered, chuckling nervously.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well I don't have a real... no, never mind. It's June 28, 1989," he answered. You quickly scribbled his name and birthday down.

"Uh... where do you live?"

"I'm moving from place to place," he answered.

"Homeless?"

"I prefer the term, "short-term homeowner"," he corrected smugly.

"You smoke? Do drugs?"

"No, I'm clean."

"No job, then? Siblings? Family?" you interrogated, wanting to know more about him.

"Extended family," he chuckled, almost as if it was an inside joke. "I don't even know half of my brothers."

"Can you name a few for me? You told me one was Ice," you prodded, eager for more information.

"Yeah, him. Mark, Dark, Host, Wilford, Light, Angel, Dream, Google, Glitch, Voodoo, Grim, Yandere, A-"

"Okay, okay," you interrupted, your headache coming back. "Just... gimme your last name."

"Iplier."

"Fire... Iplier...." you muttered to yourself as you wrote. "Okay. So, why are you burning down buildings, Fire?"

He shrugged. "I don't mean to do it, honestly. It just sort of happens."

"You mean, you accidentally start fires?" you interrogated skeptically. He nodded. "You don't blame me when I say it's hard for me to believe, right, Fire?"

"Yeah, I get you. Uh... maybe... get your folks to step away from the one-sided glass, and we can talk seriously." He leaned forward, folding his hands on the table, the laxness that was in his eyes gone. You smiled, finally getting somewhere with him. You turned to the glass, which looked like a mirror, and shouted,

"I got this, guys! Go home!" There was a pause, and then the sound of a door closing, so you knew they left.

"Thanks. Now, here." He stuck out his hand face-up, and fire burst from it. Your instincts told you to grab your gun, in which you did, shooting up from your chair and aiming for his head. He scrambled back. "Wait, don't shoot!"

"What are you?" you breathed, narrowing your eyes.

"An arsonist," he smirked. "There's a reason my brothers have weird-ass names. You can guess what Ice's powers are." Oh, so that's why the weird names, then.

"So you and your family are a bunch of... superheroes?" you stammered, blinking and lowering your gun.

"Well, considering I'm in custody for arson, we're not known as "superheroes", per se. Just freaks."

"So... what? You set things on fire to get some sort of kick?" You growled.

"No, not like that at all." He shook his head firmly. "I just trespass, hoping to get a few hours of normality and quiet, and my powers act up, and I-" He stopped all of a sudden, and jolted as a spurt of fire burst from his left hand. "Uh... like that." His face was red with embarrassment, and you put the gun back in your holster, believing him for some reason.

"There's no way I'm gonna get the judge to believe that you have superpowers," you muttered.

"Don't. My brothers will hate me if they knew I let the secret out. Just put me in jail. I'll only get a couple months, right?" You rolled your eyes.

"Sure, Fire."

=============================

Word count: 1090