Chapter Nine ~ Rest

Chapter Nine ~ Rest

The first thing I saw when I woke up was my mom sitting beside me, pajamas on, watching me with a calm look on her face.

"In the mood for breakfast?" Mom asked with a smile. As soon as she mentioned breakfast my stomach rumbled. I nodded a little too quickly; my head started spinning and I became nauseous. My mom noticed and reached for my forehead. Here palm was burning hot.

"Mom, can I please have breakfast and go-" I protested.

"Cara, you're not going out today. You're going to get some rest and take a bath. Understood?" I was about to argue when I realized how tired and worried my mom looked. There were bags underneath her eyes and her hair was up in a messy bun. Not wanting to stress her out, I nodded and forced a smile (a pathetic one, but still a smile) onto my face.

"Now, you lay back and rest. I'll go make you breakfast. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call for me." My mom rose and left my room, shutting my bedroom door slowly behind her. As soon as I heard her go down the stairs, I lifted the bed covers, slowly slid out, and headed for the bathroom.

After using the bathroom, I began to fill the bath tub up with warm water. Boy, do I stink. I really need to wash up. I was scared of my own reflection. Seriously, my hair was a frizzy mess. I was pale as a ghost and my eyes were all red and glassy. I do not look like me at all.

As soon as the skin on the tips of my fingers began to wrinkle I got out of the bath. After wrapping myself in a robe, I wrapped a towel around my hair and slipped on a pair of slippers before heading back into my bedroom.

"Hola," A redhead woman I hadn't seen for a while (best while ever) said. Shocked, I took a step back. Karma took a few steps towards me and offered me her hand. Remembering the first time I'd touched her hand, how I'd ended up with bruises all over mine, I backed another step back. "You okay?"

Just as I was about to speak I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder and trail done my arm. It was so weird, like I wasn't even covered. Turning around, I came face-to-face with Death. He was smiling at me, but then it quickly vanished and he became emotionless. His face whitened and his eyes darkened to black.

"You're still not well?" He asked softly. Suddenly, he touched my cheek and made me look up at him.

"I feel better."

"Not completely," Karma appeared next to us and grabbed Death's hand away from my face. Death immediately became defensive, pulling his hand out of Karma's and taking a step closer to her. Karma frowned and shook her head, sighing. "Oh, brother, stop acting like a child."

"Don't you have somewhere else to be?" Death asked smoothly, pulling his hand out of Karma's.

"Don't you have people to kill?" She asked, slowly circling me and placing her left arm across my shoulders. My body tensed up and my back and shoulder began to hurt like hell. It left like I'd been whacked across the back with a shovel. At least I can imagine how that feels. Wincing in agonizing pain, I pushed Karma away from me and rushed behind Death.

"Leave, Karma." Death ordered. She stared at him with wide eyes, surprised. I just stood there, watching the two exchange looks, messages with their eyes. Karma looked frustrated. Death I couldn’t read.

"Fine, I'll go," Karma walked toward the middle of the room before turning back around and looking at us. "I'll see you later, brother. Bye for now, Cara." She vanished from head-to-toe into thin air. It wasn't as cool as Death turning to ashes.

"You should get dressed." He pointed out, tugging on my robe sleeve. I blushed and nodded, quickly getting a shirt and a pair of jeans from the drawer, sneaking a pair of underwear in between them. Rushing back to the bathroom, I passed Death and noticed a blank look on his face. It's like his face is frozen.