Chapter Seven ~ Red to Black

I never thought I'd say this, but having nothing to do, no work to finish, no papers to write, no forms to fill, is starting to bore me.

I'm bored being bored.

Being a senior's great because I have a lot of free time to do what I like. However, I have barely any classes and I have way too much time on my hands. I always find myself heading home early to do whatever or I go to a resource room, the library or cafeteria.

Today, I felt like going to the library to take a nap in the back. Ms. Miller, the school librarian, never leaves her desk unless she needs to use the bathroom, go to lunch or head home. She doesn't care if anyone talks unless someone talks really loudly. She reprimands them from her desk.

The library is perfect for studying and taking a few minutes to rest up. Also, the English and Social Studies' resource rooms are attached to the library. Whenever the library's packed, I just go to a resource center. That doesn't happen often, though.

As I made my way to my favorite corner of the library in the very back I walked past a bookcase and around a junior I recognized, but don't really know. He was talking to some fake blonde girl with dark blue eye shadow smudged over her eyelids. She glanced over his shoulder, right at me, eyeing me suspiciously. I rolled my eyes and continued to my spot. Sitting down and back against two bookshelves, I made myself comfortable before zipping up my sweat jacket and pulling my hoodie over my head.

Placing headphones into my ears, I blasted my iPod to a playlist. Sara Bareilles "Gravity" played, instantly relaxing me so I could fall asleep. The hum-like notes of the piano, the violins strumming in the background and her calming voice filled my ears. Within minutes I was out.

Opening my eyes while wiping the crud from them, I squinted down at the time on my iPod as I shut the music off.

12:21 PM. Crap, I've been asleep for over an hour.

Stretching my arms and legs, I slowly stood from my spot, straightened up and ran my hands through my hair, messing it up to make my hair look wavy.

Yawning rather loudly, I covered my mouth and looked around again. That's when I came eye-to-eye with Death. He was dressed in faded blue baggy jeans and a grey hoodie. He was tan and his eyes were crystal blue. His hair was messy, bunches sticking out here and there.

Looks like I'm not the only one who took a nap today.

"You come in here to sleep?" He asked as he leaned back against a bookshelf.

"No." I responded, fixing my sweat jacket. For a few seconds we stood in awkward silence, eyeing one another.

"So," Death drummed the wood of the bookshelf before pushing himself forward and taking a few steps towards me. "I need to clear the fog on a few things. About rules and stuff... Walk with me." He motioned for me to join him at his side. I hesitated for a few seconds. I finally decided that there was no harm in walking.

Wrong.

"There are many things I must make aware to you, things that will startle or frustrate you," Death placed his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. His arm around my waist wasn't uncomfortable like at the diner, but I wasn't exactly comfortable, either. "Like how you can't tell anyone about being able to see me."

"Why not?" Death's eyes darkened and his skin paled as he thought. The skin underneath his hand on my waist froze over with coldness. Freaky.

"Because you could die and I wouldn't be able to claim your soul. You'd roam purgatory for eternity."

"Purgatory... What's purgatory like?"