Chapter Three ~ Downhill With A Dream

Chapter Three ~ Downhill With A Dream

Everything went downhill after that dream.

I took a long, hot bath, soaking myself until my fingertips wrinkled. I took my time drying up and getting dressed. My hair took much longer to tame than usual. Every time I brushed my hair, the brush would get caught in knots, making me to wince. I was relieved when I finally approved of my wavy, brown hair and dressed into baggy jeans and a fuchsia tank-top. No way am I going out today.

As I walked down the hallway and to my room I heard something behind me. I ignored the noise and sped walked to my bedroom, looking around for anything out of place. Everything looked in order.

"Breakfast is ready!" My mom called from the kitchen. My stomach growled in response loudly. As I turned around I came face to face with my worst nightmare.

The guy, the one from the nightmare, Death, was standing a foot away from me. Looking down at me with an emotionless face, he watched in silence as I backed away and grabbed my baseball bat from underneath my bed.

"You can see me?" He asked dumbly, looking amused. I just stared at him, prepared to charge and smash the bat into his skull.

"We need to talk," He said after waiting a few seconds. Talk? Hell no. "Please, sit."

"No, you need to leave now before I scream and bash your skull to bits." Instead of backing away, he took a few steps closer. I held my ground, standing in my place, not removing my eyes from him.

"You can't hurt me," He responded, my heart beating faster. "I'm already dead." Dead? Too quick to stop, he grabbed the bat from me and broke it in two, snapping it in two.

"Get away from me!" I screamed in horror, scared for my life. I saw my mom walking down the hallway towards me, frantically running to reach me. "Mom!"

Just a second or so before my mom reached my bedroom door, the guy waved his hand and the door slammed shut. Panicking, I began to fling anything I could at him. Not once did a thing hit him. He was able to dodge everything without even trying.

At last, when there was nothing else to throw, I looked for a way to escape.

"Cara! Cara, what's going on in there! Open the door!" My mom pounded on the door so hard that everything in my room shook a little.

"You know very well who I am, what I am," He finally said, his eyes glowing dark blue. "You are the only human that can see me. You're the first in over 100 years."

"Mom, call the cops!" I screamed, walking back against the empty bookshelves against the wall. This isn't happening, Cara.

He's not Death. He can't be.

"Cara," The man called my name softly, but without feeling. "Relax, I'm not going to kill you." His eyes, a brilliant, dark shade of blue, bore into mine intensely. But I wasn't fooled by his gorgeous eyes. No, he's not fooling anyone.

He's dangerous and not to be trusted.

"I will leave if you wish. I will return when you've come to terms with reality, that I am who I am."

"Mom!" I screamed louder, this time feeling my vocal chords constrict. Gasping for air, I brought my hands up to my neck and violently coughed. The man stood a few feet away, eyeing my neck with a wicked glare, his hands cupped in the air and mimicking a chocking motion. He was choking me without touching...

Suddenly, I felt something cool underneath me. I was able to squint and see the wooden floor, but couldn't get up. I started to panic when I rolled onto my back and stared up to see him hovering in the air.

Literally.

"I'll be back soon." He said before the strangest thing happened. His hair started to burn and then his entire body was engulfed by fire. His body dispersed into ashes, covering the bottom half of my body.

Just at that moment, my door was slammed open and my mom ran into my room.

"What's wrong?" She asked, sounding worried out of her mind. I pushed myself up and walked over to her. Is she serious?

That's when I looked down and didn't see anything on the floor. All the books and plushies and stuff I threw were back on the shelves in their places. What the hell?! My pants are clean and the ashes are gone.

"Everything," I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. "Absolutely everything."

Then I passed out.

Death was playing games with me.

Sick, twisted, scary games.

Death was real. Death is real.

And he's after me.

~*~*~*~*~*

Hello everyone :D So Cara finally meets Death, but they don't get off to a great start. He tries to choke her and she threatens to bash his skull to bits. Talk about chemistry ;D

Here are a few questions for you to keep in mind:

Why does Death question Cara believing that he is real?

Why and how does Cara see Death?

Cara thought Death's eyes were gorgeous. What could this mean?