Chapter 12--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops

Start from the beginning

He hopped on and signaled for me to get on by him. It might have been just me, but the thing seemed a little tiny for the both of us. I climbed on behind him anyway and being the klutz I am, I almost fell backwards and had to grab his shoulder for support.

"Sorry." I mumbled under my breath.

"That's fine." His voice was quiet and I could see his breath in the air. The night was absolutely silent. It was almost what you'd call eerie. As far as you could see everything was basically pitch black except for what the icy moonlight shone down on. All the neighbors were already at the dance so their lights were turned off. Every time you breathed a puff of steam formed in the air until it disappeared into the nothingness around us. In my whole life I'd never experienced a silence anywhere near that one.

I released his shoulder when I was finally sure that I had my balance. He turned around.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Yep." I said, happy to get away from the silence.

"No you're not." He slipped the face shield down on my helmet. "Now you are." I felt the engine go on full force when he shifted it into high. 'This isn't so bad.' I thought. Then he pressed down on the gas. I was right. It wasn't that bad.

It was horrible.

When Derek pressed the gas, the snowmobile lurched forward and thrust me backwards. I wasn't ready for that and I almost fell off the back of the snowmobile. I let out a high-pitched yelp into the air and grabbed Derek for dear life.

My face was buried in his jacket and I clung so tight to him that he was lucky he didn't suffocate. I felt the snowmobile slow down. Then I cautiously loosened my grip on Derek. I wondered why I was still alive. Derek turned around and looked away from his driving.

"You act like you're gonna die." He said, laughing.

"I almost did! Didn't you notice that while you were up there being a speed-happy freak, I was back here almost falling to my 120 mile-per-hour death?" I asked him.

He peeked back at the open field and then looked back at me.

"I was only going seventy."

"Only," I gulped. How fast could these things go? He ignored my sarcasm.

"You're supposed to hold on." He informed me in a cocky tone.

"No shit, Sherlock. Thanks for telling me that now."

"No problem." He turned around and kicked the snowmobile back to speed-happy-freak mode. I grabbed Derek just a little bit tighter.

Derek's POV

I took a few detours on the way to the dance. This was the only time we'd be alone and I wanted it to last longer. When I reached the woods I weaved through the trees effortlessly while the girl behind me clung to me like a wet rag. Apparently someone had trust issues. Every once in a while I'd glance back at her and she really didn't look miserable.

"Are you ready for the dance or do you want to ride around for a while?" I asked her. I decided that I didn't want her to feel tortured because if she did she'd never go with me anywhere again. So I let her choose. She lifted her head up.

"We can ride around a while." She yelled over the noise of the motor. I had this baby kicked up to high gear. Once I got out of the woods I'd be able to push 100.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yup." She said.

I pressed the gas noticeably harder. The engine revved and we sped through the rest of the forest. "I think you might regret that decision." I yelled so she'd hear. There was a pause while the snowmobile picked up to seventy.