First gig

(Another joker/jack and Jeannie origin story. I'm just dishing out different ideas that are in my head. Enjoy!)

"Will that be all for you, sir?" I asked politely.

"Well, unless I can take you home with me tonight, yes that'll do," the disgusting creep spoke. I faked my best smile and walked away.

This was nothing compared to the comments I'd get from the men around here. They were pathetic and crude, and actually repelled me from them.

I had completely given up on finding anyone decent in this city. Maybe I'd have to move back out of Gotham. Moving here to become independent seemed like a great idea at first but once I got here I quickly discovered the people here weren't my type of people.

Crooks, gangsters, prostitutes, perverts.

Nothing more.

I was excited for tonight though, it was comedy night for the mini-club I worked at. We had arranged our tables and chairs to look like a comedy club and in all honesty, I needed a good laugh. I mean, laughing sarcastically at the bastards and perverts who'd try to make undesired advances just didn't work for me.

I walked to the kitchen and retrieved the food items the customers had ordered. As I turned around, I was met by what felt like a wall. I immediately spilled the contents of the tray all over this 'wall' but to my dismay, it turned out to be a person.

"Oh my goodness!"I exclaimed as the man took a step back, looking down at his suit which was now soaking in the greasy spaghetti. He didn't say a word but he definitely looked upset.

"Sir, I apologize, i'm so sorry," I spoke as I took a clean piece of cloth and proceeded to dab away the chunks from his suit. He grabbed the cloth from my hands and smiled shyly at me.

"Oh, no, it's alright. I-I wasn't looking where I was g-going," he stuttered.

I watched as he cleaned himself. Something drew me in. He was so polite and sweet, and didn't have a fit! Which was rare only because every single person I had ever met seemed to have a short fuse.

"I feel terrible sir, is there any way I can make it up to you? Is there anything you need?" I asked as he put the cloth down, the large orange stain on his shirt very visible.

"Oh, umm, no, I-uh, I just wanted a...uh, a glass of water, please." He smiled.

"Coming right up!" I barged into the kitchen, getting a large glass of cold water. I walked out quickly to where he continued to stand and handed him the water. He drank a bit of it while I continued to clean the floor.

"I'm kinda nervous...It's my first gig tonight." He spoke as I continued to clean.

"Gig?" I stood up putting the dirty cloth in a tray. "Are you one of the performers here tonight?"

"I am! First timer...I,uh, I'm kinda nervous..I have serious stage-fright!" He said shyly.

"Aww don't be! I think you're sweet. And to be honest, this town lacks alot of that sweetness. I'm from out of town and I regret coming here." I spoke with a sigh.

"Oh yeah? Where are you from?" He asked.

"The next town over," I teased causing him to laugh.

"Looks like you should be the one telling the jokes," he laughed out.

"Well, I'd put alot of people here to sleep then," I laughed and after a few seconds we both sighed. We had been talking for a few minutes now and he was the first person in this stupid city that I actually had carried a decent conversation with.

"I don't think so, I'm certainly not asleep," he smiled sweetly.

Just then the drumroll started and both our attention turned to the stage, where the spotlights moved around in a whimsical manner and the music was on full blast.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST ACT OF THE NIGHT....JACK NAPIER!!"

The announcer spoke and I looked over at the man I had been speaking with.

"Excuse me, beautiful," he said shyly and walked up the stage. I smiled as I watched him walk up the stairs. Jack. That was his name.

He walked slowly to the center of the stage, waving hello and nodding to the crowd who cheered his arrival. He gripped onto the microphone pole and adjusted it so it was at his level.

"Good evening, everyone. Hope your night is going well. Mine was until I got hit with a plate of spaghetti," he said as he pointed out his shirt, causing the audience to roar in laughter.

"I mean, I like spaghetti but I prefer to get it in through my mouth first and then get it into my stomach. This definitely wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done," he spoke and once again, the audience continued laughing.

He gazed over at me and smiled. I stared back at him and felt my heart leap. He was very sweet for that. He had turned that slightly negative situation into something so light, something that worked for him. He was definitely versatile.

The night progressed and Jack was a hit. The audience loved him, so much so that they asked for an encore. It was announced later that night that Jack would return in a week.

It was closing time. I had packed up my things and was walking out of the club, exhausted from the nights events. It was a great night but it would have been better if Jack had said goodbye. I wanted to thank him. He had been rushed off stage and into the club-owners office, probably trying to work out a deal for Jack to become a regular act here.

As I walked out into the chilly Gotham night, I heard a faint rustling and immediately turned my head towards the noise.

"I didn't mean to scare you," that sweet voice spoke.

"Jack?" I asked as he revealed himself. I couldn't help but smile.

"I didn't get the chance to say thank you and goodbye," he said.

"Thank you? For what?" I asked.

"For whacking me with the spaghetti," he grinned. I laughed out at this. He was too kind-hearted.

"I wanted to thank you for not getting me in trouble. I kind of need this job, otherwise it's back to my parents house," I giggled.

"Oh, I wouldn't want that. To lose out on having a pretty girl like you grace me with her presence? I would never jeopardize your job like that," he smiled. I felt myself blush. Why did I blush? I had just met this man a few hours ago and he already had me on edge.

"Thank you Jack. I should get going though, it's been a long night," I spoke.

"Absolutely," he said as he nodded. "I can walk you home if you'd like, it's a little late."

"I'm used to it...but, I'd love the company." I smiled as i proceeded to walk with him alongside me. We talked the entire way there, laughing and giggling at jokes and stories from our lives that weren't meant to be laughed at.

But everything was a joke now.

As soon as we reached my apartment, I faced him and thanked him sincerely for walking me home.

"I didn't get your name," he said before leaving.

"Jeannie..my name is Jeannie," I smiled sweetly.

He took my hand and kissed it gently before he disappeared into the night.