“What? Have some faith Emma, I told you I’ve got Superman muscle – plus with Derek on my side he doesn’t stand a chance” he told me making me laugh by grabbing Derek's flippers and moving them to make the penguin execute a perfect karate chop.

I put my hand on my chest and looked up him adoringly, playing the part of rescued damsel in distress. “Ah my hero”.

“Hehehe you know it” Jeremy said, flashing me a cheesy smile before he went back to normal, for him anyway. “So remember before you left we talked about ice skating, can we still go”? He asked, jutting out his bottom lip while my stomach dropped.

“What now”? 

“Why not”? He said confused now.

“Well, Dorian had to go somewhere but he should be back soon”. I nodded along like this fact alone made it right to stay.

His eyebrows furrowed. “So”?

“So I don’t really want him to come home and me not be here again, we promised we’d stay together”. I shouldn't really be telling him this, Jeremy is my best friend but he'll never really understand my relationship with Dorian and it's not his fault, but no one who doesn't understand the and believe the concept of what a mate is because they have one will ever understand. Alec knows that Dorian is a Vampire, he knows about mates but he won't ever understand. By telling him this it's just going to confuse and upset him.

“But he’s gone somewhere without you”. He told me like I was an idiot. I let it go, he didn't know and even if I wanted to Dorian would never take me with him to feed.

I spoke gently, seeing his anger before he felt it. “It’s different, he had to”.

“I don’t like this Emma, he has too much control over you”.

“I never asked you to like it Jeremy and Dorian doesn’t have any control over me, I’m my own person”. I still hadn't raised my voice but still her grew angrier. 

“You used to be” he muttered, he knew I could hear him, he was doing it to get a rise out of me and I'm ashamed to say it worked, my next question didn't come out quite so delicate.

“Why are you being like this”?

“Because when you called me I thought we were finally going to be able to spend time together again, the last time we did that was Boston and we all know how that ended – I hardly see you anymore Emma and when I do you’re all defensive or have your head somewhere else, and then you yell at me for being worried about you”.

“I’m not yelling Jeremy, I didn’t mean to I just, I missed him a lot and I don’t want him to think that I left him again”.

“Well I missed you too Emma but I guess you don’t care about that anymore right”? He glared at me but I could his voice betrayed him, he was hurt and I hurt because I did the one thing he asked me not to do, neglect him.

“Jeremy how can you say that? You’re my best friend, of course I missed you and I care how you feel and I always will, but I need to be here when Dorian gets back”. I rushed, shaking my head at not being strong enough to hold my life together.

“Why”?

“I can’t explain it, I just have to be here, please understand”.

“I don’t understand you anymore Emma, I feel like I don’t know you”. My lips trembled.

“You know me better than anyone, better than everyone”.

He looked down at the floor then. “I used to think that but now I’m not so sure”.