Chapter 37

I stared over Dorian’s shoulder at the tallish girl in the door way, she was taller than me but she had the air of someone who was eternally young and not in a hippy way, but a child like way, always looking up at the world instead of down; it was something that endeared me to her.

Her hair was a very pale brown, probably strawberry blonde in the outside light, she was slim and very timid but I had the feeling it was only because of Dorian, I have no doubt that this girl could take care of herself if need be.

I felt a tingle at my back and realised that Dorian had reached one hand behind him and had slid my dress back up my top half and was just finishing with the zip. I would’ve been embarrassed except for the fact that I just couldn’t get over the tension in this room, it was insane.

Despite our bond I couldn’t make sense of Dorian’s emotions, they were a mess, a flood, vast and deep and constantly changing pull. In the end I just shuffled forward without taking my concerned stare off of him and wrapped my arms around his chest from my spot behind him, resting my cheek on his shoulder.

A feral growl resounded from my mate and it scared me for the first time ever, I’d never heard him like this before. The girl on the other hand didn’t seem phased, just disappointed. I looked at her again and couldn’t help sending her a small apologetic smile when her eyes met mine. She seemed surprised and slightly confused but smiled back anyway which made Dorian snap again, it seemed just her having eye contact with me infuriated him.

“Leave now” he barked.

“Please Dorian, it’s been two hundred years! Please talk to me”. She pleaded.

“Leave”.

“I’m your sister does that count for nothing”?

“It didn’t to you the night you did this to me”.

“Dorian! You were dying, what was I supposed to do”?

“Let me die like any decent person would have”. I understood then who this was, Dorian’s sister. It didn’t stop the sting however, he still wished he’d died even now, after everything. I know I can’t blame him, I can’t begin to imagine what he’s been through, but it still hurts because by doing that he’s wishing us away too.

From watching the situation unfold I was ninety percent sure that this girl wouldn’t hurt me so I let go of Dorian and drew back from him to get around him and off the bed but he just pulled me back behind him again, snaking one arm behind him and around my back so I couldn’t try to do that again.

“Relax Dorian, I don’t want your snack”.

Is she trying to piss him off? I let my head hit his shoulder as anyone else would let their head hit a wall or a table in submission to the onslaught that was about to ensue and then as I predicted heard the mother of all snarls rip up his throat at the poor girl. If there is one thing Dorian hates it’s people telling him that he’s going to hurt me or eat me, I remember him almost strangling Alec to death in the kitchen one time.  

“Calm down, what is wrong with you”? The girl asked shocked.

He was starting to shake with his rage so I did the only thing I could think of that would calm him, that he always does for himself. I reached a hand out in front of me and used it turn his face into my neck so that he could push his nose into the crook, which he did. I smiled when I felt him relax into me and so I used my other hand to brush through his hair in a gentle rhythm to soothe him more.

“Oh, oh my God”, it was a soft utter, the smallest sound but I could tell it had riled Dorian again, more than anything else had, I just couldn’t figure out why. “You found your mate”. She smiled but something else broke in her then too. She switched her eyes to me and smiled small, but warm. “Hi, my name is Virginia, I’m Dorian’s sister”. I put up my hand and waved a little, making her smile until Dorian took my hand back and held it to his chest so I couldn’t do it anymore, it was like he thought she was going to hurt me.