Chapter 36

It didn’t take long for me to get ready especially with the promise of learning more about Dorian and seeing where he grew up, I just can’t imagine him as a child. It’s weird, trying to imagine people who you feel like you know so well before you ever met them.

 I chuckled out loud at trying to picture Dorian as a child, all small and innocent and unknowing of everything that he seems annoyingly sure of now.

“What’s so amusing my love”?

“You” Dorian frowned over the steering wheel.

“Me? How so”?

“I’m trying to imagine you as a kid, all small and sweet”.

Dorian laughed himself now. “I suppose to you it is strange, but that part of me feels more natural than this one” he told me gesturing to himself by taking one hand off of the wheel. “Now I think about it though, trying to imagine you as a child is also amusing albeit was a much shorter time ago for you but still just as hard to picture, perhaps I should have a rifle around for some photos”.

“No! I will never forgive you Dorian”. He turned his face to look at me in horror.

“Emma, what is wrong in me looking into your past? I am quite willingly taking you into mine”.

I rolled my eyes. “Nice way to make me feel guilty, and it’s not the same – I hate people seeing pictures of me, especially from when I was a kid”.

“This is me Emma and I want to, please don’t deny me”.

“I’m not denying you”.

“What is so awful about sharing yourself with me”?

“Nothing, nothing at all and that’s unfair of you to ask because you know that that’s not what this is, I share myself with you every day, more than I do with anyone Dorian and it will always be that way, you’re blowing my very typical humiliation of baby pictures completely out of proportion”.

His expression became a little less severe. “That’s all it is? Embarrassment”?

“Yes that’s all it is”. I assured him.

“Well there’s no need to be embarrassed baby, what am I going to do, laugh”?

“Yes”.

His eyebrows furrowed. “Why would I laugh”?

“Because you just will”. He reaction may not exactly be laughter but it will be at least shock. I was different when I was little, that’s why my parents have been sending me to all those psychologists, because I was such an outgoing, and sunny side kind of life person before Maddi died, girly and giggly – annoyingly so. The contrast would be enough to frighten anyone.

I could feel Dorian’s eyes surveying so I turned a little to smile at him so that he’d think it was nothing, I know I didn’t fool him but he let it go for me anyway which made me smile for real.

“I love you, you know that”?

It took another two hours after our talk in the car to get to Dorian’s place of birth and I don’t know what I was expecting but it wasn’t this.

Initially Dorian drove us through what was essentially an open field until a few hundred yards in we came to a stop to see a beautiful old house. It was bigger than I expected, two stories and thatched roof, the panes of glass in the windows were long yet narrow and broken into smaller windows within the larger frame.

Without thinking about it I unclasped my seatbelt and got out of the car, shutting the door behind me and stared more closely at only real piece of matter that tied Dorian to the earth, into actual existence, my first piece of evidence that means he’s not just a dream that my warped mind had compiled.