Chapter 41

Emma’s P.O.V.

It turned out that Scott drove me home instead of Uncle John this time since he was working late, he wished he could though - more to annoy my Dad than anything else but it still made me laugh and miss him even more. Aunt Susan can’t drive so that option was out but I didn’t mind having time to talk to Scott, he was really easy to be around and was probably the cousin who took my safety as seriously as Uncle John.

“I wish you’d stay longer Emma, we only just started to have fun” he told me as he watched the road, adjusting the steering wheel as we sped down the highway.

“I know, I’m sorry”. I really did feel guilty, I was all doom and gloom nearly the whole time - it wasn't fair on anyone. Obviously not trying to make me feel better by denying my stuid behaviour he nodded before his eyes flicked briefly to me before going back to the road.

“I’ll forgive you if you tell me what had you so down”.

I Groaned “Scott”.

“What”? He asked innocently.

I sighed. “It was nothing I was just... tired”.

“Emma, you’ve been using that excuse for years, tell me what’s really going on”.

“It’s nothing”.

“Emma come on, you’re not one of those girls that just loses it over nothing, I know you wouldn’t have been that way if something serious wasn’t wrong... you can tell me”. He muttered at me almost sounding hurt that I wouldn't.

“I really can’t”.

“Is it because I’m your cousin or because I’m a dude”?

I turned my head a little to peer out of the window for something to do.“Both, and you’re more like a brother to me anyway Scott”.

He smiled at that before his eyes narrowed. “Is this about a guy”?

“Maybe”.

“Well he’s an asshole, no one gets to do that to you, you’re too nice, too good for anyone that would treat you like that... does Alec know? I hope he's done something about it cos I sure as hell will” he started muttering under his breath and I didn’t know whether I should laugh or be worried about how Scott was quickly turning into his Father and whether his relationship with Alec would stay standing should Alec morph into our own Father over this.

The car ride was way shorter than I liked, I wanted to have time to think about how I’d deal with this but obviously luck wasn’t on my side. I was still worried that Dorian hadn’t left his bed yet, that he was still upset with me and unresponsive.

It killed me, small pieces at a time left me, seeing him like that. I can't even say that he was broken because he gave no response to anything, to me, to time, to anything. It was the first time I'd ever held him and he hadn't tried to hold me back or kiss me, tell me he loved me.

Every doubt I ever had about myself, my sutability and adaqucey for Dorian came into question again, and I couldn't even be pathetic and rely on Dorian to sooth those worries again because he didn't care, couldn't care with that prison he'd built around himself.

I’m not mad at him, I was never mad I just hope that he’s ok now... I felt better with my own feelings after I talked to Aunt Susan and I think that when he does decide that he can talk to me again, I can tell him about it and hopefully it’ll be a turning point for us.

However if he is up right away, I’d rather wait until tomorrow to talk, I just need a night back in my own bed to sleep away my sleepless nights before I can face him again.