Chapter 12

“You can’t be serious” I shook my head in disbelief unable to meet his eyes.

“Well I am I understand if that changes things for you, obviously I’m very different to what you thought and I know that it may seem kind of scary but I promise you I’d never hurt you Emma, I mean that”.

“But you can’t be it’s not possible” I was beginning to get a little hysterical. Dorian took my hands in his and I had to fight the urge to recoil.

“I know that this is hard to take in believe me I know... but it is real I’m real and I really want us to make this work”.

“What work”?

“Us baby” I looked up at his eyes this time and even though I felt the same things for him I needed him and wanted him and loved him but he was just so not the same anymore, I couldn’t see him the same way I did before.

“I don’t know if I can”.

“Why not? I’m still the same, I still love you, I was still afraid of the rain when I was fourteen, I’m the same person” he was pleading with me to understand and I wanted to cry and make him hold me because I’m so confused and I feel safe when he holds me.

“You lied to me, you made me fall for you for someone that doesn’t exist and then you expect me to just brush it off like it's nothing”.

“I never lied to you –“

“But you didn’t tell the truth either”.

“It wasn’t easy don’t for a second think that I wanted to keep myself from you, that I didn’t feel guilty”.

“My heart bleeds for you Dorian I’m so sorry you felt guilty for doing something you knew was wrong” I spat sarcastically.

“Emma please I did it because I didn’t know how to tell you about what I really am and because I fell in love with you and I just wanted you to love me too and I know that it was selfish but I won’t apologise because you told me that you love me too and I won’t ever be sorry for that”.

“Why the hell do you have to be so cheesy I’ve had one heart attack lets not push for another alright”?

“You didn’t have a heart attack”.

“Uh pretty sure I did see that chart stuck to the end of my bed? Why don’t you give it a quick scan”? 

“Don’t be pedantic Emma. You didn’t have a heart attack not really it was our bond that did that to you”.

“What do you mean our bond”?

“My kind we have mates –“

“Oh please not that again”.

“Just listen to me for a minute.  Anyway we have mates, one mate forever to be exact and you’re mine. What that means is we’re a perfect fit and we’ll always want to be together we’ll always need each other and we’ll always love each other we never stop. We cannot be without each other, we have this pull on us keeping us together and what you experienced in the form of a heart attack was our bond being threatened”.

“Threatened by what”?

“By you”.

“What did I do”?

“Tried to hate me for Maddi you chose her over me”.

“Because you murdered her”.

“But I didn’t! Ask Alec I haven’t killed anybody for at least six decades”.

“Six decades? I knew you were older I knew it”! I was a little weirded out but I was definitely smug too.

 “I know”.