Chapter 44

Emma

I was lonely and bored with Dorian out feeding and with nothing else to do the idea of what and how he was feeding on entered my mind. I know that he has to do what he does to live and so I try not to dwell on it, to not think of the people he’s feeding from as real people with lives and jobs and families and dreams, it makes me feel sick, of myself. I feel like I should stop him but how can I? How can I ask him to stop doing something that’s keeping him alive? There has to be another way...

Shaking my head, I stood up from my bed pushing my thoughts to the vault in the back of my head for later. I twiled gently around in a slow circle, taking in my room for the first time since I came back home and I smiled at the sight. More of Dorian’s things had found their way into my room - books, clothes, he was even keeping his car keys and wallet in here now, shoes, laptop. If I didn’t know any better I’d think we were living together in here.

Sitting on the bed of course was Dori. I loved my squishy purple friend. I was smiling like a fool when Dorian gave it to me, it was just so sweet and thoughtful if not a little funny that he’d had to look up his namesake; I still find it embarrassing that he made me tell him about that. Suddenly I remembered another friend of mine who also has a friend of the squishy variety who I fell asleep on yesterday. I grabbed my cell from my still unpacked bag next to my closet and dialled number one on my speed dial.

Needless to say after ten minutes Jeremy arrived with Derek the Penguin. I laughed at the at the Penguin’s attire. Derek was wearing a Santa hat that had flashing green Christmas trees around the white hem, plus a Rudolph tie with a flashy red nose which I’m sure he stole from his Dad - Jeremy not Derek.

“Hey Jeremy” I smiled, as my best friend forever stepped into my house, hugging me tight.

“Hey Em, you seem much more awake today”.

I nodded. "Yeah I had a pretty good crash after you left”.

“Mmm, but you seem happier too” he told me eyeing me suspiciously now, I knew what he was getting at and I didn't mind telling him that me and Dorian were good again.

“I am happier now” I assured him with another smile.

“I guess that means you and Dorian have worked things out”? Jeremy guessed with somewhat calculating eyes. I knew he'd be a little iffy with Dorian after every thing but he doesn't need to be, I'm fine now and I really am happier. I just hpe he doesn't try to tart a fight or anything.

“Yeah so be nice” I warned.

“Why should I? Whatever happened that wasn’t just some stupid argument that was real... I’ve never seen you like that before Em, you scared me” he told with a small frown. I reached out and squeezed his arm.

“I’m sorry Jeremy but I promise it won’t happen again”.

“I think I need to hear that from him, after all I did make a big deal out of hurting him if he hurt you”. I remembered that, it was right before we went away to Boston quite literally, we outside Jeremy's house and I was going to help him pack but if there was a fight, Jeremy would lose and he'd get seriously hurt.

“There’s no need Jeremy”.

“No need"? He stared at me incredulously. "He hurt you Emma – everyone saw it and worse you know it, so why are you defending him”?

“Believe it or not Jeremy I’m defending you”. I admitted, besides if Dorian even tried to lay a finger on my best friend he would have hell to pay.

Jeremy frowned playfully. “You don’t think I could take him”?

“Not a chance and if you did it’s because he let you”.