Chapter 4

I woke swatting an arm out in the general direction of my alarm clock, that was at that moment emitting the most annoying sound known to man. I looked up at my dresser in confusion when my hand felt at the empty space to find that my alarm clock wasn't there. What the hell? Where is that noise coming from and where is my clock?

I got up and realised my clock was on the floor like it had been disturbed, it must have been because I make sure my clock is in the centre of the table so exactly this doesn't happen. Has someone been in here?

Alec!

I ran from my room and started banging my fists on my brother's door. Even now when he's supposed to be the grown up college boy he still insists on provoking me. Suddenly his door swung open and my last knock landed on his chest.

"WHAT?!" He yelled in my face as I quickly took back my hand.

"Why have you been in my room?" I yelled back.

"I haven't been in there, why the hell would I?"

"Because you're a creep. Do not under any circumstances ever go into my room without my permission, understand?"

"Whatever, idiot. How about not pounding on my door at six in the morning?"

I'm guessing it was a rhetorical question because he slammed the door in my face and that folks is Alec the Epic Ass! How dare he go into my room and then yell at me for yelling at him? The only thing was I don't think he was lying to me, there was way too much conviction and Alec cannot pull off plausible deniability, especially at six in the morning... maybe I knocked it off myself and didn't notice.

I walked back into my room and picked up the clock setting it down and staring at it. Then it happened. As soon as I touched that clock everything came flooding back to me from last night with Dorian, everything I'd said to him, telling him to leave and that I wanted that! How could I? How could I do that to him, to us? I didn't know where all this was coming from but I didn't care enough anymore to fight it.

Whatever, I don't have time to formulate anything now, I'll do that later when my grounding really starts to sink in. I know I said I'm a loner and that I don't ever go anywhere but it's different knowing you still can go out if you want to, not being able make that choice makes me feel a little claustrophobic.

My argument with Alec had me running late and I'm not one of those people who do well under pressure. I need to be kept calm and relaxed, composed and have time to collect myself. Although thinking about it I didn't do too bad when I thought Dorian was a burglar... I'll think about it later too.

When I made it to my English Lit class no surprise I was late and I'm talking empty hallways late, brilliant. I hate getting in late to class, everyone just stares at you like you're an alien or something. I knocked thinking the initial manners would set the tone to how the situation would go.

"Come in" I heard a muffled voice call from behind the very familiar wooden door. I opened the door and walked cautiously into the classroom, careful not to gauge the expressions of the kids staring at me. "Ah Miss Mars, you've decided to join us then?"

"I'm so sorry, I'm late Mrs Middleton." I put as much sincerity as I could into my voice hoping she'd let it slide.

"You know the rules of the lock out system, if you're late don't bother turning up. Come back at lunch to get your assignment and I suggest you find a reliable source to borrow notes from."

"Yes Ma'am, sorry again."

I turned on my heel and left cursing under my breath. That was the first time I've been thrown out of anything and it wasn't even my fault for God's sakes, this is ridiculous. Turning left at the end of the English corridor I hurried down the stairs taking another left into the library.