Chapter 33

Emma’s P.O.V.

We drove in silence but it wasn’t uncomfortable not at all, and I know that when other people say that – that they can sit in silence with someone and not feel strange or the powerful need to fill the quiet, you think are you inane? Because it’s true at least I used to think so.

I turned to face Dorian while he took us to wherever it is we’re going having given up on using the roads we were taking to guess. While I watched him in all his perfection I couldn’t stop the thoughts coming of why he’d settled for me and I was twitching having these clichéd thoughts of not being enough but no matter how cliché it is I’ll always feel it. 

“I can feel you staring” he muttered with a smile; signalling left after checking his mirrors and turning onto a new street.

“Sorry”.

Dorian peeled his right hand off of the wheel and took my left in his. “Don’t be sorry I’d be staring if it were you who was driving, of course I may also be fearing for your safety if that were the case” he chuckled while I settled for smacking his shoulder which made him laugh harder. 

“Just because I don’t have my license doesn’t mean I don’t know how to drive” I informed him while I saw his eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

“Well it should, how do you know how to drive”?

“Jeremy taught me”.

“I should’ve known” he sighed.

“Don’t blame Jeremy, my uncle John did too except don’t ever tell my Dad that cos he’d have a fit that he didn’t think of it first”.

“What teaching his daughter to drive, illegally”?

“Yep”. Dorian turned to me questioningly.

“My Uncle John has three sons but everyone knows what he wanted was a little girl so he compensates by treating me like his daughter which riles my dad up because I’m his ‘daddy’s girl’” I air quoted it even though I know it’s true.

“I bet that’s led to many feuds”.

“A few? I wish, did you see how my Dad lit up like a Christmas tree when I told him that I didn’t bring Uncle John back a cigar”?

“I did” he nodded.

“Except I did buy him something, I couldn’t not I mean he is like a Dad to me”.

“And he’s been there more than yours” Dorian summarised gently.

“No, that’s not fair, it’s not that he hasn’t been there because he has he just...”

“He didn’t see you”.

“I’ve just always had to try so damn hard for him to see something good in me, and I know I sound like a brat but all I ever wanted was for him to be proud of me I never expected or wanted him to give me anything”.

“But your Uncle John saw you”?

I laughed thinking about all the times I’d just turn up on his door step and he’d be all ‘What’s my gorgeous and brilliant niece achieved today? Cure for the common cold or perhaps a Nobel prize’?

“Yeah he did and I love him for it, he was never annoyed or angry with me he was just happy that I came to see him and my aunt Susan, hey you might meet them at Christmas”.

“Might”?

“Hmm depends if I still want to keep you around” I joked.

“You know you love me and I told you, I’m not going anywhere never without you” he squeezed my hand gently and I settled for tracing patterns into the back of his.