Chapter 42

Emma’s P.O.V.

I woke up in my bed surprised at first, I don’t even remember moving from the kitchen... Jeremy must have carried me up here I guess. I felt refreshed and rested, content to just watch the sunlight smile on the sheets of my bed, warming my legs unnaturally for mid December.

It took a few minutes to realise that I was back home and in my bed, and that I was going to actually have to face Dorian now. If I wasn’t so tired last night I would’ve been tossing and turning over how horrible I felt for ignoring him. I didn’t mean to it was just that as soon as Alec opened the door I could smell him again and I wanted to be in his arms. I wanted to kiss him and hold him.

I decided though that, even though I may want to do all those things that it’s more important we talk about the stuff that’s happened, how we’re going to deal with it... he may still be mad at me, I just don’t know anything right now, and the prospect of leaving the safety of room was daunting.

Knowing that it was going to be a long day despite the fact I wasn’t planning on going anywhere, I decided to stay in my pyjamas. White cotton shorts and a dark blue singlet, I threw on my grey knit sweater and a pair of fuzzy socks though because it’s cold.

I swept a hand through my hair quickly and went to my door – I should’ve known that he’d be waiting for me.

So that I didn’t have to stare into his eyes anymore I looked down and didn’t fail to notice the tray in his hands. Eggs, bacon and toast with a glass of orange juice on the side.

“You didn’t eat dinner last night, so I brought you breakfast... I don’t know what you like but Alec said this would be ok”.

“Oh, um – thank you” I went to take the tray out of his hands but he backed up a little.

“Allow me, please”. He walked passed me and into my room where he stood beside my bed, nodding for me to sit. I didn’t want to argue over something as trivial as breakfast with everything else that’s going to be ahead of us today so I closed my door and went to sit on my bed where Dorian gently set the tray of food on my lap.

“Thank you”.

“It was my pleasure”. He looked around the room, not sure where to put himself so I tucked my legs up to the side of me so that he could sit on the end of my bed but he shook his head at me and knelt beside my bed instead, looking up at me with tormented eyes.

“Oh Emma, I have missed you”. I wanted to believe that he had missed me but with how we left things I couldn’t, so it was with a lowered gaze that carried on.

“Have you”?

“Of course I have – how could I not”?

“You weren’t happy with me when we last spoke, even after that you ignored me for days – you just shut me out after everything even after –“ I cut myself off then, I couldn’t even bear to think about it anymore.

“Even after what”? He asked quietly, apprehensive.

“It doesn’t matter”.

Dorian' s eye turned desperate. “Yes it does, everything matters Emma, please”.

“Even after - God” I knew I was going to cringe spectacularly at the words that were about to come out of my mouth, but those words were the only ones I had that were close enough to the real thing. “Even after I was going to give myself to you Dorian – do you have any idea how big a thing like that is to a girl – like me anyway? You just tossed me aside like it was nothing, like I was nothing”. Luckily for me the anger and hurt stopped me from cringing but it made Dorian frantic, his eyes were pleading with me to understand.