Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Sunday, the last day of our mini vacation passed as much as it should have where I continued to ignore Dorian and went about exploring the city with Jeremy.

Dorian didn’t intrude when we went out of the hotel but he was definitely present I could feel his energy lingering around me the entire day but I paid no attention to it - at least visible attention, in my mind it was all I could think about. It made me glow a little knowing he was there watching over me but it also made me insanely aggravated both that I couldn’t just pluck him out of the crowd to hold onto or to slap him in the face for following me.

I couldn’t avoid him the whole time however because when we were in the hotel at least he never failed to make himself visible and I have a feeling that he either bribed or used his little gift on the sly to convince the holder of the room keys to give him a copy of ours.

After a long visit to the natural history museum – long because I had to practically pull Jeremy from the building explaining to him that the exhibits will not come to life at night just like walking through his closet will not get him to Narnia. We finally got back to our hotel room where I was ready to crash at any minute because I literally have not slept for like twenty seven hours. All I could think about was Dorian and how much I regret taking this whole grudge thing seriously I mean my whole life I happily suck at holding a grudge and now when I have the best boyfriend, the kindest, sweetest, hottest guy who wants to be with me for the literal meaning of forever I chose to get good at it.

I don’t understand it it’s like there’s two of me the original Emma who is stamping her foot in the corner like a child sulking at the big bad Dorian for not letting me do what I needed to do, for not letting me try to get to terms with the fact that this may be one of the last times Jeremy and I go away together. Then there’s the Emma that popped up right around the time Dorian came into my life who is moping in the other corner not seeing why Dorian coming here was a bad thing, who lit up like Times Square on New Years Eve when she saw him standing there ready to be held and kissed.

I stumbled into our suite dropping my bag and was about to collapse on the very inviting couch when I heard his voice, his beautifully smooth deep voice. I had to snap myself back realising I’d let it distract me into a daydream, I blinked and then stood back ramrod straight.

“You should have slept baby it’s not good for you to be walking around so tired” he chided me with genuine concern.

“I did sleep” I lied over my shoulder there’s no possible way he could know that I didn’t. Dorian’s hands rested on my shoulders as he turned me around to face him gently. I wanted him to hold me closer, to pull me against his chest but I can’t let go of my anger, because it’s not anger not really if that’s all it was I’d have let it go, it’s hurt that’s keeping me from him Dorian hurt me and I never thought he would and I know it’s childish to expect so much of a person like that, naive even but I did expect that of Dorian I thought he would be the one person I could count on to never hurt me and he did and in doing so he’s left my faith in him somewhat shaken and I don’t have the courage to let him in enough to fix that.

He sighed and hugged me to himself resting his cheek on the top of my head again. “No you didn’t, why don’t you take a nap now and I’ll pack up your things for you for the flight home”? It took me longer than I liked to respond to him I was too busy basking in his embrace and his smell and closeness.

“... No, I can do it”.

“I know you can but it doesn’t mean you have to, please let me do this Emma”. I could feel his outright loneliness through our bond, he was lonely? He missed me... I miss him too so much. He pulled back from me not letting go but just to look at me, right in the eyes. “Emma –“ he seemed to not have the words he needed like he was chocking on them. “Tell me what to do, I can’t take this I really can’t”.