Rebound, But Newfound {8}

I rang Zeke’s doorbell and his dad let me in. I went up and let myself into Zeke’s room, not bothering to knock. I never knocked.

                Zeke glanced at me and bit his lip. “Tommy, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings yesterday. I was just being honest,” he said quietly.

                “Thanks for letting me know I suck. Kory’s just perfect, ain’t he?” I grumbled, leaning against his doorframe and raising my eyebrow at him.

                Zeke glared as a blush rose in his cheeks. “How come when you’re brutally honest, it’s perfectly fine? Anyone else is honest and they’re a bad person!” he snapped.

                I smirked. “Getting angry Zeke? I was just thanking you and asking a question. It’s no wonder you’re so in love with Kory. He’s just a perfect guy. Good looking, tall, and a good soccer player. You know how to pick em.”

                “Tommy, stop it! I’ve been trying hard to get over him for you! Why are you being such an asshole?” he demanded.

                “I wonder whose face you see when you kiss me,” I said calmly. Though it was a true thought of mine. Did he see my face, or Kory’s? Imagine his lips on mine, or Kory’s?

                “I see your face! I see the face of Thomas James Warren!” he cried angrily.

                “Wow, using my full name? Shit just got serious. Stick to Tommy. You know I hate when people call me anything other than Tommy,” I said.

                “I’ll call you whatever I want to call you Thomas. Now stop being such an asshole and let’s just talk about this,” he growled, standing up off his bed and coming towards me.

                He ran a hand through his hair. “Tommy, I don’t want to fight with you. Can you at least give me a hug?” he asked flatly, holding his arms out towards me.

                Just go into his arms, Tommy. Go into his arms and pretend none of this ever happened. Pretend Kory didn’t exist, and Zeke was falling in love with me. That’s just what I should do.

                But I found myself just staring at him. I wasn’t used to dealing with this hurt and jealousy. Nothing ever really got to me. But Zeke…Zeke was different. He got to me. The fact that he loved Kory bothered me.

                Would it be better if I just let him go? I sure as hell didn’t want to breakup with Zeke, but it was seeming like the better option. I didn’t like this hurt I was feeling, and Zeke thought a simple hug was supposed to fix everything.

                “No Zeke,” I said calmly. “I’m not going to hug you. I need to go home and think.”

                Zeke’s arms fell to his side as he stared at me in disbelief. “Seriously Tommy? I’m trying my hardest! Don’t you see that? I do have strong feelings for you! Can’t we just talk about this?”

                “No Zeke. I need to think before we do any talking,” I said, still calm. “I’m not saying I’m breaking up with you. I just need to think things through before I talk to you.”

                I turned and left his room, shutting the door as I went. I went outside and made my way home. I sat on my back porch and stared at a squirrel searching for food.

                How had this shit happened? I had been so happy with Zeke. I had really been falling in love with him. Hell, I still was!