47. New Mexico

Nickname: The Land of Enchantment

Human Name: Alvaro Jesús "A.J." Fernández

Age: 20 Years Old

Gender: Male

Historical Background: The region was explored by the Spanish in the 1540s; the area was settled and named the Province of Santa Fe de Nuevo México as a part of New Spain in 1598. In 1824, New Mexico became a territory of the Mexican Republic after Mexico's independence from Spain. After the Mexican-American War, New Mexico became a part of the United States as the New Mexico Territory on September 9, 1850. New Mexico would have difficulty assimilating as an American territory due to conflicts between the United States government and the Mexican and Native American inhabitants. The territory was eventually approved for statehood in 1912.

Statehood: January 6, 1912 (47th)

Hair Color: Ebony Black

Eye Color: Caramel Brown

Height: 5' 7" (171 cm)

Notable Traits: Tan skin. Lanky built. He typically wears a dress shirt, a vest with the Zia sun printed on the back, and a pair of slacks. He also wears a turquoise bolo tie around his neck, though he'll sometimes wear a Native American squash blossom necklace instead. He's bilingual in English and Spanish, and he knows a bit of Navajo.

Favorite Foods & Drinks: Biscochitos, Blue Corn Atole, Breakfast Burritos, Carne Adovada, Chile Rellenos, Chile Sauce, Green Chile Stew, Piñon Coffee, Posole, Stacked Enchiladas

Likes: Aliens, Flamenco, Hot Air Balloons, Mimbres Pottery, Pimentel Guitars

Dislikes: Alien Abductions, Coyotes, Spit, Texas, Wildfires

Personality: Mild and Modest. Thanks to a certain troublesome cowgirl living east of him, he has been dragged away from Mexico to become a part of America. The grudges he held back then have many people mistake him for being impudent and prickly. Of course, that isn't true. Since his admittance to the Union, he has proven to be an easygoing person who'll always enjoy an afternoon siesta whenever the heat of the sun gets too hot to handle. Though he has proven many times to be a tough biscochito, he's actually quite a softie. An optimist at heart, he's inclined to give a benefit of a doubt to anything; he frequently believes in the supernatural. Oftentimes, it's easy to take advantage of his trust. Whenever that happens, he'll usually lay the blame on himself. Nevertheless, he remains open and friendly to almost everyone he meets.

Trivia:
+ Contrary to popular belief, New Mexico received its name long before the present-day nation of Mexico won independence from Spain and adopted that name in 1821; Mexico was previously called New Spain. Their namesake came from the heartland of the Mexica (Aztec) Empire in the Valley of Mexico.
+ During the American Civil War, New Mexico fought for reasons not related to slavery. He mainly fought out of spite toward Texas for dragging him into the Mexican-American War. He managed to prevent Texas and the Confederates from invading the West.
+ During World War II, New Mexico contributed to the war effort by assisting in the development of the first atomic bombs at Los Alamos.
+ Christmas is his favorite holiday. Every year in December, he'll decorate his house with farolitos and red-and-green chile peppers.
+ Though he doesn't like being associated with drugs, New Mexico admittedly likes Breaking Bad and appreciates the TV show for putting a spotlight on Albuquerque.

~

Feel free to vote and/or comment on New Mexico.