18. Louisiana

Nickname: The Pelican State

Human Name: Louise Susanna Bonheur

Age: 21 Years Old

Gender: Female

Historical Background: The region was first explored in 1528 by the Spanish who didn't have any interest in the region and left it unsettled. Over a hundred years later in 1682, French explorer Robert Cavelier de La Salle explored and named the region Louisiana; the first settlement in the area would be built in 1699. In fear of Great Britain taking Louisiana after the French and Indian War, France made a secret agreement with Spain in 1762, transferring Louisiana over to Spanish rule for some time. France would later get Louisiana back in 1800, however, Napoleon would sell the colony to the United States of America in 1803. The Territory of Orleans was then split off from the rest of the Louisiana Territory, eventually becoming the State of Louisiana in 1812.

Statehood: April 30, 1812 (18th)

Hair Color: Dark Brown

Eye Color: Gold

Height: 5' 6" (168 cm)

Notable Traits: She has naturally curly hair when it isn't straightened. Dark skin. She'll always have a gris-gris in her possession; she has multiples of them—each one customized for a specific purpose. She's multilingual in English, French, and Spanish. Unsurprisingly, she's a heavy drinker.

Favorite Foods & Drinks: Bananas Foster, Beignets, Crawfish Étouffée, Gumbo, Jambalaya, King Cake, Mayhaw Jelly, Natchitoches Meat Pie, Po'boys, Sazerac (alcohol)

Likes: Jazz, Mardi Gras, Pelicans, Poker, Voodoo

Dislikes: Bland Food, Designated Driving, High Humidity, Hurricanes, Kentucky

Personality: Sassy and Straightforward. She's loud, lively, and lovely to boot. There's nobody who can make a unique and flavorful melting pot—a gumbo—like her. Even if gumbo isn't a favorite on the menu, she'll have another recipe ready to feed the soul until it's fuller than the moon. Anyone who disrespects the cook can expect a good smack on the head for having no tastebuds. For that matter, she doesn't tolerate poor gestures, going so far as to put a curse on the fool who dares to get on her bad side; she can be very scary. Her strength is built on confidence, so it isn't stunning for her to act forcefully according to her volition. Although, she tends to think twice when faced with superstitions. Though blunt and crude when speaking, she's usually an easygoing madame who likes to go wild at parties and drink until the last drop. Red beans and ricely yours, let the good times roll!

Trivia:
+ Buddy Bolden, aka the Father of Jazz, inspired her to learn to play the cornet.
+ During the colder months of the year, Arcadia would stay over at her house as well as celebrate Mardi Gras with her.
+ Outside of working for her boss, she manages her own restaurant and voodoo shop.
+ She won't hesitate to murder anyone standing between her and a Popeyes Chicken Sandwich.
+ She's highly skilled at playing poker, often calling herself a Poker Queen. With that said, she refuses to play without a charm on her due to superstitions of becoming unlucky without it.

~

Chibi! Louisiana:

~

Feel free to vote and/or comment on Louisiana.