7. Maryland

Nickname: The Old Line State

Human Name: Marilyn Calvert

Age: 22 Years Old

Gender: Female

Historical Background: From 1498–1608, various French, Spanish, and English explorers sailed around the Chesapeake Bay. In 1632, King Charles I granted the original charter for the Province of Maryland to George Calvert, 1st Lord Baltimore, which was then passed onto his eldest son, Cecil Calvert. On March 25, 1634, the first Catholic settlers under the leadership of Leonard Calvert, younger brother of Cecil Calvert, landed in present-day Maryland. Throughout the rest of the 17th century, Maryland faced religious conflicts between Protestants and Catholics as well as border disputes with Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York. Maryland later became independent from Great Britain in 1776, eventually becoming a state of America.

Statehood: April 28, 1788 (7th)

Hair Color: Yellow Blonde

Eye Color: Pale Blue

Height: 5' 2" (159 cm)

Notable Traits: Medium-length hair. Fair skin. She typically wears a brimmed straw hat with a colorful cockade and a black rosary necklace. Sometimes, she'll wear a naval uniform when working with the U.S. Navy.

Favorite Foods & Drinks: Berger Cookies, Chicken Maryland, Crab Cakes, Coddies, Egg Custard Snoballs, Lemon Sticks, Orange Crush (cocktail), Pit Beef, Smith Island Cake, Stuffed Ham

Likes: Black-Eyed Susans, Calico Cats, Jousting, Lacrosse, Poetry

Dislikes: Abstinence, Dungeness Crab, Rainy Days, Robert Irsay, Thistle

Personality: Bright and Unorthodox. She seems like a meek lady at first glance, reminiscent of her private Catholic upbringing. As such, she usually goes unnoticed until she starts to act in ways considered odd. She'll act enthusiastic when served blue crab made to her liking. She'll act aggressively in defense of her unique flag. She'll act emotionally when reading poetry. And she'll act all over the place when in a drunken stupor. With everything combined, she's America in Miniature—a quirky yet outspoken character who refuses to let anyone get away with insulting her pride (and her flag). No doubt, she thinks of herself to be greater than her small size, being highly educated with close ties to the U.S. capital. In the end, she'll always be the cuckoo who'll always go crazy for crab cakes, much to her sarcastic delight.

Trivia:
+ Terrapin a la Maryland used to be a favorite delicacy in the past. However, Maryland stopped eating the stew when the diamondback terrapin population was close to being eaten to extinction.
+ She can't eat seafood without Old Bay Seasoning.
+ Besides working for her boss, she also works as a naval officer.
+ Sometimes at night, she'll go to haunted places and try communicating with spirits using an Ouija board.
+ Maryland County of Liberia is one of her sister states who, too, has a unique-looking flag.

~

Young Maryland Photo (with braids):

~

Feel free to vote and/or comment on Maryland.