77. Mary

Maggie gave me the day off today because she apparently had nothing but meeting and didn’t need me there. So, I was left with only school today and relaxation. It was nice actually—spending almost the whole day with your cat isn’t really as pathetic as it sounds. The day came and went quickly though.

At three, my parents and I were sitting on the couch, watching American Horror Story—which we’d vowed to watch from the start—on my new computer, when my phone rang…and it was Niall. This was definitely about the paternity test. Eileen was supposed to be send him results two days ago, but he said she never got back to him—and it was fully believable. I rushed away into my room, away from my parents who still knew nothing about anything.

“Hi.” I said anxiously.

“Hey,” I could hear the smile in his voice, so I smiled too. It’s good news. “She’s not mine—she Alec’s.”

ALEC?!”

“Not mine.”

“How could she be so determine about her being yours…shouldn’t it like…feel different?”

“I doubt it,” he chuckled.

I scoffed, “That’s like saying she’s carrying the baby Jesus, but it’s really the spawn of Edward Cullen and Bella…”

“So, I’m God?” He chuckled, “I don’t know, Hunter—but it’s not my problem anymore.”Or mine…“And you know Alec’s not going to help her at all…not that she needs it. Her parents barely gave her a slap on the wrist.”

“They’re not mad?”

“She said they made it clear it was her baby but they still want her to live her life like she normally would. Isn’t the ridiculous?”

“My parents would all but kill me…”

He chuckled, “No they wouldn’t because Jen had C.L. at your age.”

“That’s true…” I mumbled. “But they sure as hell wouldn’t tell me to live my life the way I normally would!”

“You’re parents also aren’t idiots…”

“Trust me, they have their moments.”

“Eileen’s gonna be twenty-four, she should take care of her own baby and stop acting like she’s in high school.” I hummed in agreement. “Hunter,” he sighed. “I’m so glad this is over.”

“Me too.”

“So…what now?”

I frowned in confusion, “What do you mean?”

“I mean like…what do we do now?”

“What are you talking about Niall? We go back to normal…”

“Right, right.”

“What else would happen?” There was a long weird silence.

“I don’t know, I mean…we could celebrate.”

“How?” I said slowly.

He made a weird sound, “We could play a game…”

I was even more confused. “Okay?”

“It’s the true or not true thing again.”

“Okay…”

“You went out on a date with James Donald.” He blurted.

I made the most disgusted sound I could muster. How did he even find out about that? The paparazzi! “Niall, listen to me—that was the furthest thing from a date that it could possibly be. Not fucking true. Not true!”