51. Married

“Oh shit, you know what?” I mumbled as we walked up the front steps of my house.

“What?”

“We can’t go to a party tomorrow! It’s Thanks Giving.”

“Do you celebrate that here?”

“No, but you can’t just skip it because you’re not in America—oh, you know what else? You get to mark Mullingar on your map now! And I have a list of stuff for us to do, so you’ll be able to mark off Dublin and London, but that’s only if you want to do those things and we’d have to fly to London.” As I got my key out I peered in the front window, seeing the kitchen was still lit up from the last time I was here. “Shit, I left the kitchen lights on.”

She laughed, “You’re saying so many things Niall. I don’t know which to respond to.”

“I guess I am talking a lot, aren’t I?” I blushed and pushed the door open. “Welcome to your home for the week.” I held a hand out and let her go ahead of me before closing the door. She looked around, peering at pictures on the walls and the furniture. Her eyes settled on an empty beer can on the coffee table and her eyebrows shot up as she whipped around to me.

“Is this your house?” I nodded. “You have your own house?!”

“Yeah…. It’s been in the family forever and my gram just gave me the keys and things for my birthday last year. She said it was better than selling it.”

“Niall, that’s sick and it’s so nice…” She looked around again, “Wow.”

“My Dad’s house is about twenty minutes away, so whenever I’m here he always drops by…” I paused and muttered to myself, “Which reminds me, I should tell him I’m here.”

“Why do you have a dorm then?”

I groaned, “I signed up for dorms before I got the house, and they told me I couldn’t un-sign up until after my first four months. I’ll be here by Christmas though—think I’ll have everyone come over here instead going to my mum’s house…that’ll be cool.”

“So cool.” She said distantly, but sincerely as she started to wander with her suitcase rolling behind her. “Tell your dad you’re here. I’m going to look around!” I rolled my eyes, but I reluctantly let her go, knowing I have all week to attach her to my hip. I pulled out my phone and called Dad.

“Hey buddy!” He answered.

“Hey Dad, I’m at the house…Hunter’s here with me.”

There was a pause, “Oh yeah?! Can I come over now or are you two not your best selves?”

I held back a smile, “We’re our best selves…but you can come over tomorrow for dinner I think.”

“You’re going to cook?”

“Actually it’ll be a team effort between myself and Hunter.”

“Fair enough! I’ll see ya tomorrow. Can’t wait to meet ‘er!”

“Alright, see you then.” We hung up and I quickly called my mum and Greg, telling them the same thing. I figured since Thanks Giving was a family holiday, it would be the perfect time for Hunter to meet my dad and get better acquainted with Mum. There was a loud laugh somewhere upstairs and I raised an eyebrow. What is she doing?

“Hunter?” I called.

“Yeah?”

I walked towards the stairs and leaned on the banister, “What are you up to?”

“I’m jumping on your bed!” She giggled, “It’s so soft.”

“You’re ridiculous.” I laughed. “D’ya want a drink?”