70. Fine

I obnoxiously blew my nose into a napkin, keeping my eyes locked on the table. I couldn’t seem to stop my stuttering crying breath from breaking up my speech as I tried to explain what happened to Chip. He was the only one who answered his phone, and I ugly cried in his car as he drove us to a little diner for lunch. I didn’t order anything though. How can I eat while I’m sobbing?

People were staring at us, trying to process what was going on. All they saw was a guy in his twenties staring helplessly at a teenage girl sobbing— yet struggling to speak— sitting across from him in a booth. I briefly wondered what stories they were creating as an explanation. Those thoughts were over shadowed though, by the fact that I think Niall and I just broke up.

I sobbed harder.

“It’s alright, Hunter.” I closed my eyes and shook my head. “It was just a fight.”

“We broke up Chip!” I cried. “He cheated on me and ass fucked some other girl.”

“What?!”

“He said he loved me and that he liked waking up next to me, but it was all a lie! He was lying this whole time!”

His eyes blazed and he was suddenly pulling out his phone as he got out of the booth. “I’ll be right back.”

“What are you doing?”

“I’ll be back.” Then he just walked away. I put my head in my hands, regretting ever saying anything about Harper. I should’ve kept my mouth shut. This was my fault and now I’m sitting alone in a diner while my boyfriend—ex-boyfriend—gets on a plane to go home. I lost one of the best things to happen to me, all because I got jealous…when I always yelled at him for getting jealous. There’s no bright side to this, nor is there a way to be positive. This is just bad, and nothing but bad.

My phone rang in my pocket, and I rushed to answer it, slightly disappointed to see it was just Brice calling. “Hello?” I said through a voice thick with tears.

“Hunter! What happened?!”

“I think we’re done, Brice.” I whispered and my crying started up again. “I always got mad at him for—” I sniveled, “for getting jealous all the time, and now we’re broken up because I got jealous. He hates me now. He’s said he’s going back home.”

“No.” She said sternly. “No, no, no. I will not let this happen, no I certainly will not. You love him you fille stupide! He loves you! You cannot break up! I do not even understand how—”

“He—he also cheated on me.” I sobbed. “He slept with his friend Harper.”

“Wait—” someone said, but they were cut off by Brice.

“Who the FUCK is Harper?!” She shrieked. “Ooh, I am going to murder him, Hunter. Liam, do you hear this?!” I was confused until I realized I was in a three-way call with her and Liam.

“Hunter, babes, I really don’t think that’s true.”

“What do you mean it’s not true?” I asked.

He cleared his throat, “He told me he had a friend that’s a girl that has herpes.”

“WHAT?!”

“Yeah, so if he did cheat on you, it wasn’t with her…unless he has herpes now.”

I blinked a couple times. “WHAT?!” I repeated.

“So he lied about cheating with this Harper?” Brice asked. “Why would he lie about that?”

“Well,” my face as burning red with embarrassment now, realizing this is my fault in a whole different way now. “He never actually…admitted to sleeping with her…or cheating.” I frowned at the table. “He didn’t deny it though either. He just didn’t say anything.”