7. Goal

Final game of the tournament and it was no surprise that it was Louis and Chip against Niall and Liam. Louis looked like he was in his element, just having fun on the beach, and to my surprise Chip did too. He actually looked like he was having fun instead of getting over competitive, as he usually does. The two of them would chest bump when they scored, then once they won the whole match, they would take a lap, high-fiving everyone. I thought it was cute though; it kind of got me thinking about the girls’ tournament coming up in a couple weeks. But then again those are always about just watching a bunch of girls bounce around in tiny bikinis.

The sun was just an inch from being fully set, and the whole beach was starting to turn orange and red. Even as the night approached though, the crowd seemed to triple in size now that we’re in the finals. It seemed like everyone was split equally on who they wanted to win though.

The ref, some weird guy that works in the store next to Emilio’s, flipped a coin and Louis called which side he wanted as it fell in the sand. From where I was seated on the side of the court, I couldn’t hear what he said, but it looked like he’d decided to let Niall and Liam start off. They shook hands then took their places. I was on Louis and Chip’s side, towards the serving line and a couple people, but still Niall managed to make eye contact with me.

He winked at me and I mouthed, “You’re going down.” A smirk spread over his face as he shook his head, right before Liam served the ball.

“He’s so fit. I’d do anything he asked me to, if you know what I mean.” I looked to the right, seeing a group of girls drooling over Niall and Liam as they spoke about him. I’ve seen them around before, they’re all butt-buddies, and they gossip like they’re getting paid for it. Turning back to the game just as Louis and Chip scored, I continued to listen to them.

“We’ve got a better chance with Liam though, he actually gets with girls.”

“What are you saying? Niall’s gay?” I had to stifle a laugh at that.

“No, I’m just saying he’s picky.” Very untrue. “The only girl that’s hooked up with him more than once is Eileen…but she hooks up with everyone.”

“Maybe they’re dating.”

“I think he thinks he’s too good for everyone. He’s probably so cocky and an asshole.”

They all ‘mhm’ed in agreement. “Yeah, he’s probably the kind of guy that knows he’s hot, yaknow?”

“Probably hasn’t hooked up with many girls because he’s afraid they’ll stop hanging around him if he gives them what they want.”

I was growing more and more annoyed with every assumption they threw out. They were all wrong, and it drove me insane. Niall does not think he’s too good for the girls here. He hasn’t hooked up with many of them because he doesn’t like most of them, even when he’s wasted—there’s also the fact that he says Eileen cockblocks him. And Niall definitely, sure as hell, doesn’t know he’s hot. He’s completely confused by the fact that girls cling to him.

I wish people would stop trying to read his exterior instead of just talking to him. It not like he’s intimidating at all. This exactly how rumors spread.

Anyway, Louis and Chip were now beating Niall and Liam, two to one, in a best of five. I pulled my knees up, resting my chin on them as I watched the boys smack the ball around. I’m glad I listened to Mom and wore one of Louis’ big sweatshirts, because it was chilly. The temperature didn’t seem to bother the boys though, they were all sweating, to the point that their hair was sticking to their foreheads and necks.