4. Chicken

After turning the shower off and ringing my hair out, I stepped out wrapping a towel around myself. I looked at my legs in the mirror, cursing how fat my ankles looked. I always wished my legs were a bit skinnier, but I feel like they’re as skinny as they can be without being too skinny. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate my body…there’s just some things I was tweak—like make my eyelashes longer, or my hands a little girly-er looking, or my stomach less squishy. It’s stupid stuff really.

“Are you checking yourself out?” I looked towards the door to see Chip, still in only his boxers. He’s disgusting; he doesn’t even bother getting dressed until two in the afternoon, and Mom and Dad never say anything to him. But if it were me, it’d be a different story.

“Get out, you pervert.”

“Stop being a pussy.” He walked in, turning on the sink to brush his teeth. “Do you mind?” He mumbled to me in the mirror.

“You can’t wait until I’m done? I have to wash my face.”

“Just use the sink downstairs Hunter, Jesus.”

“I’m not washing my face in the kitchen sink, Chip. Why don’t you go brush your teeth in the kitchen sink?”

“I’m oldest, I get to go first.”

“That’s real mature Charles. Is that what you told that girl last night?” He turned around, rage turning his blue eyes dark as he glared at me.

“Is that what Alec said to you?” He shot back. My face dropped at the mention of that asshole’s name. He left me speechless, so I just walked to my own room, not wanting him to see how upset he’d made me. “Wait—” I ignored him. This is exactly why I hate Chip. “Hunter, I’m sorry.” I didn’t even turn around; I just slammed my door closed, and tried to convince myself I didn’t care.

But I do care…I care a lot. Chip should know not to mess with me about that…he and Louis were the ones to comfort me about that…

I put on a big t-shirt and lingered around in my room. My urge to go to the beach was ruined by Chip’s stupid and inconsiderate comment. I messed around on my computer, messaging my two friends from home about how my trip is going so far. Of course they asked me if I’d met anyone and just said what I always do: ‘Yeah, tons. They’re all good friends’. If it’s not my mom pushing me to find someone, it’s them. I rolled my eyes, getting bored with the conversation and told them I had to go. After a couple minutes of sitting on the floor looking at the ceiling, I got up, stood by the window and stared at the ocean.

I still kind of want to surf, but I really don’t want Chip to teach me. I wonder if Niall can surf…

A knock at my door disrupted my train of thought. “What?” I snapped, fling the door open. “What do you want Chip?”

“Hunter, I’m sorry.”

“Cool, now leave.”

“C’mon,” He groaned. “I didn’t mean anything by it.” Louis was walking by but stopped in his tracks when he saw Chip looking apologetic—because that’s definitely something to stop for.

“Uh, Niall’s in the pool.” He paused and looked back and forth between Chip and me. “What’s going on?” I ignored his question and closed my door so I could put shorts on. When I opened the door again Chip and Louis were arguing at each other—something about Chip knowing better. They stopped when I walked into the hall, but resumed once I was down the stairs.

Good, Chip should get yelled at for that.

——

“Hi, Niall.” I said as I sat on the edge of the pool, watching as he shook the water out of his hair.