47. Friends

Mullingar, Westmeath, Ireland

“Yo, Lemon!” I shouted. I honestly didn’t know if it was her, all I saw a blond head. Thankfully it was though, and she turned around at the sound of my voice, searching for me in the cafeteria. I raised my hand to wave and she finally caught sight of me, bringing her food with her to sit with me.

“Niall,” she greeted formally.

“Why can’t you say hello like a normal person?” I joked, stealing a chip off her.

“Why can’t you sit at a table where other people are, like a normal person?” She bit back with a laugh. “I swear, you’re like one of the most popular and well liked guys in this school, and yet you’re still the weirdest, embarrassment I know.”

I gasped, “Ouch!”

“It’s true.”

“I’m gonna get my girlfriend to beat you up if you keep talking like that.” I pinched her side knowing she was ticklish there and laughing once when she jolted away.

“I have a black belt in karate.”

“Hunter’s from New York.”

“Oh,” she ran out of comebacks and I stole more chips to celebrate winning the banter. “So, when am I going to meet her?”

I shrugged, “I’ll text you when we’re Skyping.” As I went to grab another chip she smacked my hand away, “Share…”

“You ate more than half!” She said smacking my hand away again. “No more.”

“Don’t talk to me like I’m a child.”

“You are a child.”

I pouted, “You’re just full of insults today aren’t you?” She only shrugged. I watched as she grabbed a chip before reaching out to lock one hand around both her wrists. She gaped at me but I ignored her as I took another small handful of chip before letting her go.

“Go buy me more!”

“Yeah, right.” I scoffed.

She scowled at me before playfully punching me in the arm. “You’re terrible.”

“You love me.”

“No, I definitely don’t.” She rolled her eyes, pouting at her empty container. “Why don’t you bring her here?” I frowned, confused. “Hunter.”

I sighed, “Getting here isn’t the problem. There’s just…no time.” I sighed. “Can we not talk about it? I’ll get bummed out.”

She nodded, “Yeah, sure; I understand.”

“Thanks.”

“So, I’ve got the camera and everything ready for tonight. Are you excited?”

“Yeah, it’ll be cool.” I chuckled.

“Love your enthusiasm…” Before I could laugh six other girls came over and sat with us. They weren’t random people; they were all cheerleaders that I hung out with lots of times at parties and during lunch. I wasn’t as close with them as I was with Lemon though. Because my soccer and rugby teams are always together, it indirectly forces us all to befriend the cheerleaders. They weren’t bad though—I liked them. I look like the biggest chaz right now.

I knew Lemon didn’t like them though. “I’m going…” She mumbled as they sat down.

“Wait—” but she was already gone. I slumped forward as I watched her walk away before my line of view was obstructed by Snap sitting in front of me. I rolled my eyes.