14. Girlfriend

I collapsed on my beach towel, ignoring the fact that some sand had gotten on it. Panting and sweaty, I flipped over on my back and looked over at Brice to see she was just as exhausted as I was. We’d just finished running the whole length of the avenue on the beach. I’m pretty in-shape, but that was just a little much for me. Brice also insisted we do it in bikinis since that what we’ll be doing during the volleyball tournament in a couple days. I can only imagine how sore I would be if I wasn’t already in shape.

“Let’s take the day off tomorrow Brice.” I offered.

She laughed, throwing an arm over her eyes. “Yes, that would be good.” I nodded, relieved. We laid there for what felt like forever, trying to catch our breath. I listened to the sound of people walking by, most of the guys saying perv-y things loud enough for us to hear, but I didn’t really care.

“Holy shit.” Someone said. I opened my eyes just in time to see Niall running up and driving on top of me with Ana and Liam close behind him. I groaned when he landed on my slightly sore body.

“You look so hot right now,” He whispered in my ear. I gasped and he caught me completely by surprise when he grasped my face in his hands, kissing me hard. WHAT! I should push him away…I have to…I will…in a second…

Unfortunately the kiss only lasted a second before he pulled away to sit next to me. I was out of breath, both from the run and the kiss. He just kissed me in public, on the beach! If only that lasted longer—it could’ve been so romantic and sweet. I shook my head, I can’t keep thinking like that.

I glance over at Brice and Liam to see they were having their own energetic conversation; they probably didn’t even see what Niall did. I pouted a little.

“Banana, say hi, please.” Niall asked Ana who was standing just behind him, licking and ice cream cone. She was dressed in the cutest little flowered swimsuit, and I just wanted to reach out and hug her. I gave her a smile, but she did her usual hide-in-Niall’s-neck thing. I wish I could do that…

“Wow she really doesn’t talk around her.” Liam said. “She was just talking before we came over here.” I only shrugged.

“She thinks you’re pretty.” I blushed as I stared at Niall. I didn’t want to believe him, but he smiled and looked at Ana, putting a hand on her small back. “Right, Ana?” She peeked at me before giving me a small nod.

“Aw, thank you Ana.” I gushed. Niall picked her up and sat her in his lap so he could hug around her as she ate her ice cream. My heart melted at the sight—guys and kids will always be my weakness. “She’s so cute, Niall.” I smiled.

He smiled, “Not sure if I should say thanks to that or not.” I rolled my eyes. “I take it you’re doing the volleyball tournament?” His eyes lit up with pure happiness and excitement as he glanced from me to Brice, then back again. I nodded. “I’ll definitely be there to see that.” He smirked.

“What does that mean?” Brice teased.

“It means…we’ll be cheering our mates on.” Liam laughed. “As we usually do.”

“Is Eileen playing?” Niall asked. I glanced at Brice before shaking my head. “Nice.” Nice? He ducked his head down, taking a lick from Ana’s ice cream. She yanked it out of his reach only causing it to fall in the sand. “Uh oh, see what happens when you don’t share?” Her bottom lip started to quiver, making my heart break.

“Don’t cry, Ana. I’ll buy you another one,” I offered standing up. “Sound good?” She nodded. After fishing a pair of shorts—with my phone and wallet in them—  and a shirt out of my bag, I slipped them on and held my hand out for her. I thought she would flinch away, but I’m glad she didn’t and put her tiny hand in mine. “Are you coming?” I said to Niall.