59. Snow day

As if by answer of the gods, it did snow heavily in New York—flight cancelingly heavy; so heavy that she wouldn’t be able to go home until late tomorrow. It snowed so heavily that it snowed here in Ireland…though it probably wasn’t related, and it was only flurries here. Since we were five hours ahead, Hunter and I had gotten our ‘golfing’ (which really just ending up in us talking about my videos and how good Ellie Goulding’s concert was while I hit golf balls around) in before her mum even woke up to tell us about the flight being canceled. We didn’t even go to the airport to check honest.

Her mum wasn’t too enthusiastic about Hunter staying here though. They were still on the phone right now—Hunter had her on speaker because she was currently being a good girlfriend and washing my hair for me; she said she’d cut it and style it for me too. I was a little doubtful about letting her mess with my hair, but she assured me that she’ll make me look, at the very least, presentable. So, I guess that’s alright.

“Mom, do you think I’m just going to fly out in the middle of a blizzard?” She grumbled massaging my scalp, lathering up the shampoo. “They won’t even have the landing strip clear until tomorrow.”

“But it’ll be tomorrow there before it’s tomorrow here.”

“I mean your tomorrow.” I snickered at her annoyed tone. “I’ll just come back tomorrow night.”

“Tomorrow night?! Why not tomorrow morning?!”

“Why not tomorrow night?”

Her mum let out a frustrated breath, “Hunter, I know you want to stay with Niall, but you can’t just skip out on classes.”

“Well what am I going to do with the flights getting delayed?”

“Maybe you could fly to Indiana and stay with the boys until the storm ends?”

Her hands froze in my head and I peeked up at her, seeing she was trying to think of a bullshit reason to get out of that. “How am I going to stay with them? In their dorm room?” She smiled when she realized her argument was completely valid.

“Hunter…you have to come home at one point.”

“I know,” she mumbled. “But not right now.”

“I know what you’re doing here. You probably did some snow version of a rain dance for it to snow two feet here.” I covered my mouth to keep from laughing. “You will get back to this country even if I have to ship you here by tug boat.”

“Alright, Mom, Jesus.”

Her mum let out the longest sigh I’ve ever heard before speaking again. “So, how was the thing last night?”

“It was nice.” Hunter said slowly. I frowned a little knowing it was everything but nice. “How’re the grandparents?”

“Annoying. Grandpa already drove back up to Liverpool, but of course Mom had to stay another day….for God’s sake.” She mumbled. “Oh, your cat! I got her the prettiest collar, oh my goodness. It’s sparkly.” They’re exactly alike…

“Mom, why didn’t you send me a picture?!”

“I forgot, calm it down.” There was talking in the background, “Daddy wants to talk to you.” Hunter lifted an eyebrow as she looked at me, still massaging my head though the shampoo was far past the point of being pounded into my head. I liked how she and her Dad mended things. It actually was heart breaking to me, just thinking about how I would feel if I thought my own dad hated me. But by the way she’d talked about him lately I was led to believe she was as close with him now as he was with her mum.