8. Storm

I jolted awake for no reason in particular, to see Louis trying to tiptoe into my room. “What are you doing?!” I snapped. “Why are you sneaking in here?!”

“Hunter, calm down.” He frowned at me, surprised that I’d snapped at him—usually it’s Chip that gets my morning tantrum. “What’s wrong with you?” I flipped over to lie on my stomach, burying my face in my pillow. I’ve been kind of distant the last few days—not because of the Niall thing…—and I don’t think Louis likes it. I’m usually so open with him. The bed dipped down and I felt Louis’ hand on my back.

Silence filled the room for a long time before he said anything.

“How was Niall’s the other day?” He was smart to wait a couple days to ask because if he’d done it the night of, I would’ve exploded at him—my emotions were on high then.

“Weird.” I finally mumbled into the pillow.

“Good weird…?

I sat up looking at him as I thought. Was it a good weird? I mean I had a lot of fun playing video games with him for hours. He was actually the goofiest person when he’s not being all quiet…that’s kind of how I am. I think some people find it annoying, but not Niall. I don’t think it was weird when we made out either…it just got ruined when I started over thinking.

“Yeah, it was good weird I guess…I think I have to talk to him though.” Because I’ve been unsuccessfully avoiding him (he’s literally everywhere….with Eileen). I rubbed a hand over my face, dreading that conversation. Talk about awkward…

“Talk? Talk about what?” I rolled my eyes. I love Louis, but I’m not talking to him about this. “Is he out of the friendzone?!” Why does he sound so excited?

I frowned, “What? Why’d you say it like that?”

“I’ve told you, you kick nice guys into the friendzone before they get a chance.” He shook his head, “but you go for assholes when it comes to the things you do…at your little parties.” My jaw dropped.

“The things I do? What do I do?”

“I know what you do.”

I widened my eyes, playing dumb. “I’m innocent.”

“Bullshit. You’ve made out with people my age…”

“That’s only three years older.”

He rolled his eyes, “I don’t care. Stop making out with my friends. It’s weird.”

“Well tell your friends not to be so hot. When’s Zayn coming over by the way?” He pushed my shoulder, making me topple over on the bed, giggling. I told him I was only joking (but I wasn’t at all) and he just rolled his eyes again before standing to leave.

“He’ll actually be here next week for a bit.”

I shot up with excitement. “Think he’ll come to a party with me?”

“No,” he said tilting his head. “He’s getting high with me and Chip.” Casual.

“He can get high at the party with me who will kiss him.”

Louis’ face hardened as he put the joking aside. “Seriously.” He messes around a lot, but when Louis says ‘seriously’ you should listen to him.

“I know, Lou.” His smile returned and he kissed me on the forehead.

“Good, now get dressed, we’re going to the market.”

——

Splitting up is always the best way to go when Chip, Louis and I go to the market. It leads to less arguing and we don’t end up getting useless things because our arms can only carry so much. I was in charge of snacks and drinks, which means I’m the one with the cart. Minding my own business, I scanned the different juice drinks, trying to remember which one each person in the house liked.