76. James

New York City, New York, USA

 “So glad to have you back!” Maggie said when I walked into her office with drinks for both of us. She visited me while I was sick, bringing me the medicine that helped get me better (to be honest, I thought I was pregnant…but a trip to the doctor proved me wrong, thank god). She’d really lived up to her goal of being a friend to me. In my short time working here, she’d not only helped me learn the ropes, but we often had dinner together and said even planned to take me to a movie premiere at the end of the month. She told me the only reason she was so eager to go, is because the movie looked good—she couldn’t have cared less about outfits and interviews.

She began confiding in me about her druggie, gold-digging father. He was apparently really cruel to her and her mother when she was young, and she desperately wanted him out of her life—but no matter what she did he kept popping up. My job was to answer her cell phone and office phone, and he always found a way to call her at least once a week—I ignored those calls by request. I also figured out that Maggie doesn’t trust men…at all…even the gay ones that are nothing but friendly who work here. She said she hadn’t dated anyone in years; I assumed it was because of her daddy issues.

Maggie is an interesting character…weird even…and I missed her while I was sick.

“Are you sure you’re feeling up for the next four hours?”

“Yes, I’m feeling much better.” I smiled. “What are we doing?”

She stood up and took a sip from her Frappuccino, “Upstairs to the nineteenth floor—Sofia Vergara is coming in for an interview.” Holy shit. “You don’t really have to be there, but I’d like you to be. It’ll only be an hour or so.” She walked towards the door, her heels clicking determinately, and I scurried after her. “You can talk to her while they get the microphones set up.”

“Really?” I breathed as we stepped on the elevator. “What do I say?”

“Hi, I’m Hunter, Maggie’s assistant; nice to meet you. Are your boobs real?”

I smiled, “I’m gonna cut out that last part, if you don’t mind boss.”

“Suit yourselfI’ll ask her.”

——

Her boobs are real and the interview is over.

“Thank you for your time.” Maggie said, giving her a hug. “It was so nice seeing you again!”

“Oooh, why don’t we see each other anymooore?” I couldn’t help but laugh at her accent. She always held her words out longer than a native speaker would. It was hilarious. “Just because I am forty-one now doesn’t mean I did not like that paaarty!”

Maggie laughed, “Believe me, I know. I’ve seen the pictures.”

“Well, we’ll have to party again sometiiime.” Maggie raised her eyebrow and suddenly looked at me. It was that Maggie look when she had an idea but it was ruined because I have a boyfriend—or that’s what she told me.

“I’ll call you sometime this week, Fia. Definitely before you leave New York.” They hugged again before Sofia walked away. I went towards Maggie to see if there was anything she needed me to do. “Right now, we’re going to my office—will you proof read mine article I have to submit Friday after the photo shoot?”

“Sure.”

“Okay and then could you see how to get the whole floor the list for Provocateur for Friday? Might as well make a night of partying right? You’ll come, won’t you?”