5. Blender

“HUNTER!” Dad’s booming voice outside my door snapped me out of my sleep. “Did you leave the lights on in the pool?!”

Shit. I shot up; preparing to apologize but he didn’t give me a chance.

“I have to drain the whole fucking pool and change the burnt out lights now!” His face was turning red as he shouted at me…over damn pool lights. “I ask you to do one thing when you come in from your little parties, and you can’t even do that!”

“I didn’t go to a party last night!” I strike back. “Your sons did! Why aren’t you yelling at them too? They could’ve turned them off when they came home.”

“That’s not the point, Hunter.” He said through gritted teeth.

“Oh, of course it’s not. They never do anything wrong, do they?”

“Watch your mouth.” He spat before slamming my door closed. I huffed and look out of my window seeing the level of water in pool going down. Dad acts like it’s so hard to drain the pool and change the lights. I could do it. Niall had no idea what he was talking about last night, my dad actually hates me, and sometimes I think I hate him too.

——

“HG,” Louis popped his head in my room. “Want to come to the city with me?” I almost never go to the city…because we live in one back home. Why would I go to a place that I can just go to when I get home? Louis and Chip on the other hand love it. Actually Louis isn’t much of a partier, but when he and Chip go together, they split their time between the town (where I go) and the city. I guess it’s whatever works for them though.

“Why don’t you ask Chip? I’m tired from work.”

“Come on, Hunter! I’ll invite Niall, if you want.”

I frowned, “Why would I want that?”

“You know why.”

“No, Lou, I don’t.” I said. I hope he doesn’t start this ‘you like Niall’ talk again, because I’d rather not have that argument. “Chip?” I asked again.

“He’s with Dad.” I rolled my eyes. “Please, Hunter!”

I sighed, “Fine.” He beamed.

“You’re the best and um…Niall and Greg are coming anyway.”

“What?” I gasped, but he was already gone. Why does he keep trying to push us together? Can’t I just have a friend and be over with it?

——

“Hey,” Niall greeted as I climbed into the car. We’re taking Dad’s car because Louis has the privilege; I, on the other hand, do not.

“Hi.” I mumbled. He was doing the sneaky smirk thing again so I looked away from him. Greg slid into the front passenger seat and not even a second after he was buckled in, Louis took off. “Louis, where are we even going?”

“We’re redecorating the basement, you know that. Our mission is to get a new television and couch—orders from mom.”

“We could’ve gotten a couch in town…” I mumbled.

“Not a nice one!” He laughed. “She wants us to get a blender too—you and Niall can do that.” I glanced at Niall; he didn’t seem to have an opinion on the situation. Whatever, it’s better than sitting at home with Dad pissed about everything. I looked out the window as we sped down the highway, looking at all the cars wondering which would be a good one for me. Not that I have money for a car, or that I’m allowed to have a car my freshman and sophomore year of college, but…I can dream can’t I?