67. Justin

I was starting to think Niall’s quietness was less because of me and more because of something else—but I couldn’t know for sure. I just left him alone though, assuming he’d tell me when he wanted to. Over time I’d realized you could never really force anything out of Niall. He either told you or he waited for a better time.

So I just hung around in the kitchen, watching a stupid midday soap opera marathon on the little TV by the fridge. I weirdly got into it, groaning when people did something irresponsible and gasping when someone kissed someone they knew they shouldn’t have.

“You’re so dumb,” I mumbled at one of the characters as she stole money from her step-father that was fucking her friend. “He’s going to catch you.” Shaking my head I leaned back against the counter as I got completely entranced. There was something about watching other people’s problems, fake or not, that was always interesting to me. Not in an ‘I’m glad that’s not me’ way, but like an ‘I want to see how they fix and deal with this’ kind of way.

As I felt myself growing tired, I heard something move behind me and I looked over my shoulder to see Niall leaning against the other side of the counter. He didn’t have a shirt on, showing off his toned pale torso and dark peach fuzz on his chest.

“What are you watching?” He said with a smirk. I looked behind me and gasped at the explicit sex scene going. Since when do they show that on TV?! I quickly told him nothing and turned the TV off. “So…” He drummed his fingers against his arm. “How was Marcel?”

“He was fine.” He nodded. “What were you doing while I was up there?”

“Playing on my phone.”

“Why didn’t you come up?” He shrugged and I sighed, “Well…he’s the same.”

“Hmm.”

“Hmm?”

“There was yelling and running around…it didn’t sound fine, or like he was the same.”

I shook my head, “He’s angry…and he’s dealing with it wrong. That kid is still a little shit, just one in which there’s lots of pent up anger that he let out the wrong way.”

“I guess you’re right.” He mumbled.

“What were you so scared of?”

He started into my eyes and said, “That he’d hurt you.”

“He wouldn’t do that.”

“I’d say putting someone in a coma was something he wouldn’t do, but he did it.”

I rubbed my hands over my face, “He knows he fucked up bad.”

“I know.” He sighed. “I know he regrets it. But I can’t help but think about how out of nowhere all of it was…and what if out of nowhere he flipped at something you said and something happened?”

“I didn’t say much to him at first…because I was afraid of that too….but he’s okay.” I frowned at the counter. “I mean…as okay as he can be right now. He read me stuff in his journal.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, he said he needed me because I’m not perfect.”

He took a second to process that, twisting his mouth up as he thought about it before nodding. “Yeah, same.”Niall needs me?

“Oh…”

“Yup.” I didn’t know what else to say so I just nodded. “Was FaceTiming Ana a second ago. She’s babysitting The Fuzz for me.”