57. Kids

Mullingar, Westmeath, Ireland

We walked through my front door at eight fifty-two. I dropped our bags at the door and went to collapse on the couch. Hunter was on top of me after closing the door. Ten minutes—that was as long as the peace and quiet lasted until my cell rang in my pocket.

“Noooo,” I groaned, making no move whatsoever to answer it. Once it stopped ringing, I shifted a little, coaxing Hunter (who was dead asleep) next to me so I could bury me face in her neck. A couple more minutes passed before Hunter’s phone started to ring in her bag across the room.There’s no way in hell I’m getting up to answer that. It eventually stopped ringing though. I started to follow Hunter’s lead and drift to sleep, but I was snapped out of it when the house phone started ringing.

“Oh my god.” I mumbled. Reaching over the arm of the couch, I picked up the phone. “Hello?” I snapped.

“Denise is having the baby!” My exhaustion disappeared as I heard screaming in the background. “Her water broke and we’re headed to the hospital!”

“Wait, Greg, w-what do I do? Should I stay here?”

“What the hell do you mean? Come to the hospital!”

I sat up quickly, “Okay. Okay, Hunter and I are on our way.” We hung up and I grabbed Hunter’s shoulders, shaking her gently. “Babe, get up. Denise is having the baby.”

“I’m too young.” She mumbled sleepily, turning away from me. I chuckled and pulled her arms so she was sitting up.

“NoDenise is having the baby. We have to go to the hospital.”

Her eyes popped open, “Oh my god! Should I change? I look homeless. Do I have to bring something?” I told her there was no time and retrieved my keys and wallet before heading towards the door. I hope I don’t fall asleep at the wheel… Hunter trotted after me. “This is so exciting! I’ve never seen a fresh baby before.”

“A fresh baby?” I laughed as we got into the car. “It’s not a pizza.”

“You know what I mean.”

——

The nurse led us into a room that I believed was far too quiet for anyone in my family to be in. I don’t know why, but I was nervous. My hands were shoved in my pockets and I told myself to take deep breaths as we walked in. Mum, Dad and Greg were all sitting in chairs with their attention fixed on Denise, looking proud and teary eyed.

Denise looked up at me first, a lazy smile crossing her face as she beckoned me over. I rubbed my sweating hands on my jeans before walking over to the hospital bed. I peered into the bundle of blanket in her arms. I could physically feel my heart melting looking at the tiny squishy looking baby staring up into nothingness.

She moved some of the blankets out of the way so I could see his whole face. “Say hi to uncle Niall, Theo.” I couldn’t get the stupid grin off my face. She looked up at me, “D’you want to hold him?” I cleared my throat and nodded, wiping my hands on my jeans again. She lifted him up and I snaked my arms under his tiny body, marveling at how tiny he was.

Once she moved her arms away, I felt hypnotized or something as I watched the little guy do absolutely nothing. He blinked sleepily a couple times before his mouth made an ‘o’ shape as he yawned. I chuckled a little, because other than that I didn’t know what to do with him. Staring was my only option.

I internally told him I planned to spoil the shit out of him, not matter what Greg and Denise say. I promised to teach him to play any instrument he wanted, even if it meant I had to learn it too, and that I’ll always be there for him to talk to when Greg was being a pain.