29. Elevators

Niall sprayed water all over the counter when we made eye contact as I walked into the kitchen. I gazed at him wide eyed, but not because he’d just gotten the whole counter wet, it was because he just looked so hot in his suit and tie. Ignoring Louis and El’s laughter as they watched him wipe his mouth, I kept up staring at him. His jacket was resting next to sink, so I could see right through his thin white button up shirt. I watched his biceps flex as he wiped the counter too, blushing as he did so. Maybe tonight won’t be too bad.

“I think that means you look good, HG.” Louis said, still laughing at Niall’s embarrassing reaction. I kept my eyes on Niall. When he finally looked back at me, he smiled and shook his head.

“Beyond good,” he mumbled. “Let’s get a picture.” I blanched. Pictures? I didn’t sign up for this! He laughed at my expression as he beckoned me over. With a little hesitation, I followed him to stand in front of the back sliding door. He handed his phone to El, who was looking all too eager, before slipping his arm around me and pulling me closer.

El snapped away, turning into a photographer as she directed which ways we should move or pose. Louis made faces behind her to make me laugh, and it thankfully worked.

“You’re amazing looking,” Niall whispered, lips brushing my ear. I blushed as I looked ahead at noting in particular.

“Thank you,” I whispered. He kissed my temple then dug his fingers into my side, making me jolt closer to him.

“Look! Affection! Are you getting these pictures?” Louis said.

“Yes, yes. I’m getting it.” El responded, but Niall didn’t pay them any attention. It was like the paparazzi were stealing pictures of us doing basically nothing. Niall continued whisper to me, through this whole picture taking thing, giving me compliments and trying to make me laugh. He was trying to make me less nervous for his hoity-toity dinner.

“I’m not used to you being this tall.” He murmured, brushing the tip of his nose against my temple. “It’s weird.”

“I can change my shoes.” I hushed.

He shook his head, “No, I don’t want that.” I was blushing so much; I probably looked like a tomato in every single one of those pictures.

“Ooh, you have a text message,” El said to Niall, holding his phone out. “I didn’t look at it, but it’s from a ‘B’.”

“Yeah, that’s Brice.” Niall mumbled looking at his phone, still holding me close. “They’re outside. She wants to know if she should come in or not.”

I shrugged, “We can just go out. I’m ready to leave.”

“So eager to run away from attention.” Louis laughed.

“Go put your ointment on.”

He rolled his eyes, “Already done.” I hugged him goodbye, minding his skin thing and trying not to touch it. “Should you take a jacket?” I sighed and shook my head.

“She can wear mine if she needs it.” Niall said distractedly as he typed into his phone. “I’m always hot anyway.” I held back a smile as I made eye contact with El. He definitely wasn’t lying. I gave El a hug then shouted goodbye to Chip, who was in the basement with Liv.

Lou and El followed Niall and I to the door, telling us to call and shit. They knew I was sleeping over at Niall’s, and just earlier today, Louis told me to keep him informed…like I was going to be in another country instead of across the fence. I liked that Louis was worried though, it was good to see the motherly/fatherly instinct wasn’t passed down to only me.